Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That is a really nice setup for the Outback . I do like the dune color do you notice getting hot in the sun or does it stay cool . My Ride is a dark green camo and in the sun it get hot to the touch.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cowpokey

How do you like your new Outback , I got to ask ,what made you decide to go with the Outback over the Pro Angler .I'm trying set up some time to go demo both of them .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Regarding color, there's been a few threads & varying opinions on the subject but I'd stick with a bright, light color. If you go anywhere with boat traffic it's easier to be spotted in a yellow kayak. Green, blue & red can get lost in the water. Dune seems to be in between in terms of visibility depending on conditions & water color.

Not really on topic, but worth considering.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

24 hours for my post to get approved. Really? Kind of missed the target audience of the thread....Glad I spent the time to add what I thought was meaningful to the sport.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's a really good point . I do see boat traffic but always try to make sure I have flag of some sort at least a couple feet over my head . I have seen a video where a guy was anchor up fishing with a Hobie Outback on the Columbia River and got hit by a boat .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you are more into camping than fishing,than I would go with the out back. If you are a die hard fisherman,I would get the pro angler. I'm 67 years old and have a new pro angler 14. I couldn't set in a small boat anymore because of my back. The pro angler new chair is so nice you can take a nap in it,also you can stand up and fish out of it. I have a bed extender for my truck and have no problem unloading or loading. Only takes a couple of minutes to load or unload. I had rather spend all day fishing comfortable and a couple of short minutes loading something that weights a little more.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's awesome 67 years young and wrestling a Pro Angler 14 in and out of the water . Have you had it out on a windy day , do you get blowed around like a leaf or do you stake it out or use anchor. ?

Last edited by JohnT2240 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

JohnT2240 wrote:
That is a really nice setup for the Outback . I do like the dune color do you notice getting hot in the sun or does it stay cool . My Ride is a dark green camo and in the sun it get hot to the touch.

It was mid 70's here yesterday, and the maiden voyage for the new kayak...I don't know how the color will play into heat/cool. I would expect the dune to be good, since it has very little light absorbing properties that a darker color would.

JohnT2240 wrote:
Cowpokey

How do you like your new Outback , I got to ask ,what made you decide to go with the Outback over the Pro Angler .I'm trying set up some time to go demo both of them .
Love it. Outback over PA for the weight and $$$. The PA look really nice, but for that much more money I couldn't justify it...heck I had a tough enough time justifying the Outback, but I did it. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cowpokey

How did your bum feel after being in the Outback for and extended period time . Do you notice if your knees are up as high as your chest or does it just look that way ? I notice the Pro angler seat you seem to set a little high then the pedals I'm sure it's the position of the seat .

Did you get the turbo fins on the Mirage Drive ?

Yes cost and weight are both really high on the list . But I'm looking at buying and keeping for a long time , No matter which I go with .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

rasure 1

It would be nice to relax , in the lazy boy for sure . I have a truck with 8 ft and bed extender already not huge deal breaker . I was already looking into over head rack to put on my truck so I could haul the kayak over the cab of the truck .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Have you tested the Outback and the PA? That will help you decide.

I went from an WS tarpon 140 to the Outback. Night and day difference. About 6 months ago, I sold the Outback and got a PA 14. I tested the 12 and went with the 14 for the extra large front hatch.

The Outback was a pleasure, but I kept feeling like I wanted more options. At 6' 200lbs I couldn't stand and fish from the Outback without feeling like I was going swimming.

I never look back at my decision as I love the PA 14. I offshore fish with it and really like the stability. It also sits higher out of the water and has a very open feel to the cockpit. When I get to the beach, I haul it across soft sand. The weight is not an issue with the right wheels. When I'm done, I load it in my dodge ram and let it hang out the back.

As for the color. Ivory is a good color that doesn't get hot. If you go for a PA, the black pads get hot. Other than that... Splash some water on it and your good.

Here's a few picks of both kayaks in action!!

Good luck with your decision!

Standing around a school of sharks! Wouldn't try this in my Outback!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

No I have not got up to the nearest dealer he is about 1 hour away . And I have been working night turn . I spoke to a couple guys that's in the local kayak club and they had some PA's in the 14 range and one guy even has and Outback that could try if I would like . I guess , I know my answer before I even set down in the kayaks is that if I want room to get up and move around the PA is it as long as the sticker shock do kill me . If I want a kayak to fish out of and really be move in the same kind of situation that I'm already in the Outbacks it .

Nice pictures Captain Yak , where were you fishing at ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fort Lauderdale/Pompano Beach area. Make sure to try the PA with the Vantage seat. I really like it in the low position for rough water. The high position is nice for added visibility and ease when standing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will make sure there is a Vantage seat in there to try , I have the high seat in my Ride 115 and it really nice unless its a hot day the whole seat is made out of black material it still breathes but black just sucks up the sun . And the kayak is a dark camo . Not the best set-up for those sunny days .

I'm thinking that if this works out as my go to boat ( kayak ) I will end up selling my bass boat . I find myself paddling the kayak more and leaving the bass boat setting in the garage . Just for the cost of fuel and insurance and and maintenance on it , it seems that every year some else needs replaced or repaired . Last year I had the bottom cylinder go out on the motor which was right around 2k to get fixed . Kayak other than the initial cost are pretty cheap to operate .

That's pretty cool to be able to see the sharks just in front of the kayak . Definitely put things in perspective .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

JohnT2240 wrote:
That's awesome 67 years young and wrestling a Pro Angler 14 in and out of the water . Have you had it out on a windy day , do you get blowed around like a leaf or do you stake it out or use anchor. ?
Took it out Saturday on a windy day with no problems,stayed in Frazier creek on Hugo lake. Also not hard to load with bed extender on truck. Just sat the in of kayak on bed extender pick up the other end and shove it right up. I think any grown man would have no problem.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next