Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AI conversion
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all...
I just received my AI conversion kit from my local dealer. Before I drill the flange bolt holes on the mast receiver., I trial fit the mast receiver to check square of the mast. It seems the front crossbar is close to 1/2 offset to right at its most neutral position. Is this normal? I want the amas on the same plane as the hull and the mast as square as possible. Anyone have any suggestions before I finalize the position?

Javier

Post subject: Re: AI conversion
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting. I think most of us just assume our rig is centered, though it might not be perfect. None of our hulls are perfect to begin with.

Ultimately, I would depend on my dealer for this kind of advice, but I'll offer an observation:

If this is the older Aka bar style, then the geometry of the bearing plate is fixed in place by the position of the factory installed brass inserts. You have to go with that. All you can do is tilt the receiver cup until it squares better with the bearing plate and lock it down. I would do this with the mast in place.

Yes - The mast "should" be basically centered port to starboard, but I suspect that it is supposed to tilt back somewhat, as it does on most boats. You'll notice that the bearing plate leans back at an angle relative to the opening for mast receiver. This makes sense for sailing upwind with the sheets pulling the mast back hard.

This is a TI mast for illustration...

Post subject: Re: AI conversion
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your help. I called Hobie customer service. Matt was very helpful. It's a 2013 adventure and the kit is the newer style aka. Since the crossbars are clamped, I am setting the mast perpendicular to the cross axis (using a digital angle finder) by offsetting the crossbar by 3/16". Not as bad as I had at first thought. Its looking great ! Can't wait to get in the water !!
Javier