Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I occasionally get my fishing line tangled in the rudder of my Revolution. This is a pain, because I either have to ask somebody I'm kayaking with to untangle it, or I have to go to shore and get out to untangle it. Since becoming more skillful at deploying and managing my line doesn't appear to be an option, does anybody have any ideas for ways to modify the rudder mechanism to reduce the chances of getting line tangled in it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How is this happening? is it a trolling line, flat line (drifted bait) or live bait?
I ask because I never have this problem vertical jigging or casting, but sometimes I get problems with my live bait swimming back to the shade of the kayak (i guess its looking for shelter in the open ocean?) and this is when the line may take a single wrap around the rudder.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jcanracer wrote:
How is this happening? is it a trolling line, flat line (drifted bait) or live bait?

It happens when I'm trolling.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you trolling the line directly behind the boat? You need to get the line away from the boat. Further out to the sides. And never make a sharp turn that would run the boat over a trolled line. You also want to keep your trolled lure at least 65 feet from the boat, better yet 80 to 100 feet, using a precision dive curve to obtain the lure running depth required.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, what Tom said ^^^

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe your rod is too short?
I trolled in my old Outback with my 8' 6" steelhead rod and never once got tangled in the rudder.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I get it tangled in the rudder all the time on the AI. But only when I stop and allow the yak to be carried by the currents/tide/waves back over the line, or while trolling two lines I fail to real in the non active line while bringing a fish in on the other line, then back to the same reasoning in the first part.
But shimming back onto the rudder is easy to do to solve the problem, even in rougher waters, although I do cuss a lot when it happens. well I cuss a lot period. :lol: :lol:

8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have you tried putting the mirage drive in backwards and trolling in reverse? I almost exclusively do this when I am trolling, keeping my line in front of the boat and away from the rudder.

Revolution 13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I do not know what rod holders you are using. Do not use the built in rod holders at the rear of the kayak. There is no distance separation of yak and line. I use RAM rocket launcher rod holders each side of the foot well making my 6'-6" rods nice outriggers giving good line to yak distance and a good spread.

Sadly nothing will prevent a drift over line tangle. You just need to be aware of where your lines are and always know where your arse is :lol: . That even applies in power boat trolling with an outboard motor when I use to troll offshore. Talk about cussing a fowled prop will do it for sure.