Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My 1990 H17 has a giant "Formula 1" sticker on the hulls. Apparently this was a special edition. Anyone have any more details on this series? Numbers/years built, differences?

So far what I can see:
  • HIN is CCM L 2258 A 0 90... so 90th H17 built in Jan 1990 and 2258th H17 overall?
  • White painted mast... ugly as hell once paint starts to chip away and become discolored.
  • Hulls feels rock solid but quite heavy. Apparently this is common to all "Formula" boats. Anyone know why? Did Hobie try to correct the 17's somewhat flimsy build?
  • Mine comes with a bow spreader and jib... presumably an after-market addition, or did all the "Formula" boats have a jib before the Sport came out?

P.S. Boat is for sale if anyone is interested. (See For Sale section)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:27 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

CCM L 2258 A 0 90 - The FAQ's have a HIN decoder: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1155

It's a 1990 boat, built in January of 1990 - the only year that I know of that the Formula boats were produced.

The only differences were the white powder-coated aluminum and the sails. Your jib was a later addition, as is the mainsail.

The model was only made for a short period, since the white paint chips badly and looks like crap (as you've noticed).

They've got a reputation for being heavy.

Guy I know had one that he named "Average White Boat" - after it weighed in at the 1996 Hobie 17 Continentals, it became known as the "Heavier-than-Average White Boat". It was a good 30-40 lbs heavier.

Otherwise, they are just like every other Hobie 17.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Guy I know had one that he named "Average White Boat" - after it weighed in at the 1996 Hobie 17 Continentals, it became known as the "Heavier-than-Average White Boat". It was a good 30-40 lbs heavier.

Otherwise, they are just like every other Hobie 17.

Hey Hey I resemble that remark!!!!

Ole "heavier Than Average White boat" won a bunch of regattas...until we weighed it. It took out a few peoples minds too!!!

I should have never sold the 87...Right Billy????