Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have now used my PA-14 twice since installing the larger rudder and can report the "hysteresis" or slack/slop in the rudder control has all but vanished.
My 2013 PA-14 does not have the latest BOA adjuster that is found in the 2014 model......with the original rudder, there was always some slop or slack/hysteresis in the line.
Since changing over to the larger rudder, this issue has completely disappeared. I made no adjustments/tweaks/or tinkered with the rudder lines when changing the rudders and wanted to be sure the change/improvement I found was "real".....so, I can truly say, the larger rudder is a noticeable improvement....the PA-14 does respond quicker and my down rigger deployment tracking has improved too....A win-win :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been out once with the new rudder on my PA12. The conditions were 15mph winds with gusts upto 31mph. In these type of conditions I would lose control at times with the standard rudder. With the new rudder I was able to get control if I got caught in the 30mph gusts of wind and current. At times it seemed the steering would lock but that was due to the extra area the new rudder has and a little force would get the steering back. Another observation was that while trolling I did not have to have my hands on the steering 100% of the time. So far I am very satisfied with the new rudder. Going out again this weekend, and will be fishing in current. I will post an update next week.

http://bordercityclassic.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How about loading/offloading when you have the front of the PA on your vehicle/trailer, etc. and the back of the PA on the ground, does the larger rudder contact the ground?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, the rudder will contact the ground if you were to raise the bow so the back end (skid guards) of the kayak contacts the ground.......But, no it does not when direct water launching or recovering (on/off) my Hobie Trailex trailer.
I would guess the rudder extends 1.5" beyond being even with the bottom of the kayak at the tail end (stern).
If you normally raise your PA so the stern is resting on the skid guards and you want to use the larger rudder, I would suggest making a "resting cradle" out of a couple of 2 x 4's positioned under the skid guards....that will provide enough elevation/clearance to prevent the larger rudder from contacting the ground and breaking or damaging the rudder assembly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've been out lots of times since the larger rudder was installed. I find noticeable improvement in response.

I do note that under a strong wind and/or running tidal current, when the rudder is moved full to the stop, that the rudder can be moved by water force unless you hold onto the handle to prevent this movement towards centering itself. No big deal, but the smaller rudder did not act this way. I guess it's the larger surface area. A good trade-off in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Still anxiously awaiting mine. Been on order now for 4 weeks. I really want to get this on the yak as I feel the response is not anywhere near what I get out of my outback. The wind is a killjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was one of the few originals who made our own larger rudder, it's good to see others have found the benefit of the change (obvious Hobie agreed too) .... unlike some who said we didn't know what we were talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What about it sticking out further underneath the keel
Any issues with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military Police, USAR SFC

Broward County Florida

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie is offering it as an option, not a replacement as there was and is nothing wrong with the original unit. A larger rudder will give you steerageway at a lower speed, perhaps under three quarter MPH, but you may have to trade off some convenience insofar as it not fitting up flush under the hull. Decide which is more important to you and go that route.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ol sarge....from my reply above on April 11..."Yes, the rudder will contact the ground if you were to raise the bow so the back end (skid guards) of the kayak contacts the ground.......But, no it does not when direct water launching or recovering (on/off) my Hobie Trailex trailer.
I would guess the rudder extends 1.5" beyond being even with the bottom of the kayak at the tail end (stern).
If you normally raise your PA so the stern is resting on the skid guards and you want to use the larger rudder, I would suggest making a "resting cradle" out of a couple of 2 x 4's positioned under the skid guards....that will provide enough elevation/clearance to prevent the larger rudder from contacting the ground and breaking or damaging the rudder assembly."

Tom....I found that just using "short, quick strokes" my PA14 responds fairly quick to the standard rudder.
My real surprise was the hysteresis/slop in the rudder lines all but disappeared with the larger rudder.
I frequently down rig fish with a 4 pound weight and as you would expect, the larger rudder does provide better "tracking", but the original rudder was still fine.