Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sport for fishing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wondering if anyone with a sport can comment on using it as a fishing platform. I have used a 10 ft wilderness for many years and it was worked great (except the missing mirage drive). I briefly owned a PA12 and ended up selling it due to the weight and tracking problems.

Is the sport stable? Does it track well? I fish in all types of conditions and water, but mainly in large rivers and lakes with the occasional surf launch.

Of course I will demo a new sport but sometimes hard to tell from such a short ride...
Thanks in advance for any comments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post subject: Re: Sport for fishing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Depends, what are your dimensions?
I enjoyed my 2012 sport and fished offshore in it for a year. I was 200# at the time and I am 5'8". It did not track as well as my current revo, but it was plenty capable, like a baby Outback. The new sport is even sleeker than the old one as far as hull design.

If the leg room and weight ratings suit you, I think you will enjoy the ease of portage and stability of this great little kayak.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the input-
I am 5'9 and 175

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

a few pics of me in my sport:

I had great affection for that kayak, and would gladly buy a 2014 if the need arises for a 3rd kayak or a replacement compact kayak.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just curious, what's on your paddle keeper/bungie.
Jcanracer wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh that is the silly hook-on-a-bungie thing that comes with the kayak (its an option for holding the mirage drive pedal in place). It is such a nuisance, I wrapped it around the bungie on the port side to keep it out of the cockpit. In my Revo and Outback I roll it up and stash it in one of the side pockets.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jcanracer wrote:
Oh that is the silly hook-on-a-bungie thing that comes with the kayak (its an option for holding the mirage drive pedal in place). It is such a nuisance, I wrapped it around the bungie on the port side to keep it out of the cockpit. In my Revo and Outback I roll it up and stash it in one of the side pockets.
Ah, I thought it was a ring of some kind, now I see the hook. I tuck mine it in the webbing pocket in front of the seat hatch.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am 5' 8" and weigh 150 lbs. The Sport works great for me. The light weight is the biggest advantage. It is unstable to stand but I manage to kneel on it though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks jcan. You've helped me a lot at the No Motor Zone.

I demoed a Sport today. There was also an Outback which I could have demoed for comparison, but I had trouble picking it up, so I didn't bother with it. Here are my impressions of the Sport:

It is pretty darned stable. I didn't try to stand up in it and wouldn't recommend it, but I sloshed around in it quite a bit and it didn't appear too squirrely to me. That said I was also in a freshwater harbour at a sailing club, so no wave action.

It is highly manueverable. I cut some very tight doughnuts in it at high speed. However it does not track very well without the rudder engaged. I tried paddling sans rudder and I thought I was avoiding submarines, zigzagging.

I fished in it for about 15 minutes. I had a slight breeze blowing me towards shore. I just pointed the rudder slightly away from shore and held my spot pretty well.

I am 5'8" 205#. There was water in the Mirage Drive well, but I didn't get wet. I didn't feel like I was sitting any lower in the water than on any other kayak. And for the first time in my life I got out of a kayak with dry pants, twice.

And the coolest part. I stripped it down in 5 minutes, picked it up onto my shoulder, and slid it into the back of my wife's car. EZPZ.

My new kayak is a 9' Hobie Sport in papaya.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dcr wrote:
Thanks jcan. You've helped me a lot at the No Motor Zone.

I demoed a Sport today. There was also an Outback which I could have demoed for comparison, but I had trouble picking it up, so I didn't bother with it. Here are my impressions of the Sport:

It is pretty darned stable. I didn't try to stand up in it and wouldn't recommend it, but I sloshed around in it quite a bit and it didn't appear too squirrely to me. That said I was also in a freshwater harbour at a sailing club, so no wave action.

It is highly manueverable. I cut some very tight doughnuts in it at high speed. However it does not track very well without the rudder engaged. I tried paddling sans rudder and I thought I was avoiding submarines, zigzagging.

I fished in it for about 15 minutes. I had a slight breeze blowing me towards shore. I just pointed the rudder slightly away from shore and held my spot pretty well.

I am 5'8" 205#. There was water in the Mirage Drive well, but I didn't get wet. I didn't feel like I was sitting any lower in the water than on any other kayak. And for the first time in my life I got out of a kayak with dry pants, twice.

And the coolest part. I stripped it down in 5 minutes, picked it up onto my shoulder, and slid it into the back of my wife's car. EZPZ.

My new kayak is a 9' Hobie Sport in papaya.

CONGRATS! :D