Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A while back someone raised the issue that the video of the two guys raising the mast on the Getaway had the boat on the ground meaning it was lower and easier than it might be when raising it from it's normal height on the trailer. I was wondering (since I have never raised a Getaway mast, only 16's and 18's and always used a winch connected to the fore-stay on those) With 2 People Available, could the strong one stand under the Bob, walk in and raise it up as high as he could, and then have the less strong one, wedge a 2x4 8 foot long wood stud with a little "U" or "V" shaped end on it, covered in glued carpet, under as far as she could push it and wedged into the earth or asphalt below, have her hold it steady, while the strong guy got up on the trampoline and proceeded to raise it the rest of the way. And then the less strong person would run around and pin the fore-stay to the furler/bridles. Sound any easier to do? Damage to the mast? And then bungee the 2x3 to the trailer when done and for transport home.
What thinketh thou? Thanks !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's very similar to how my neighbor steps his mast on his H-16. He has a 2x4 bracket on the back crossmember of his trailer, and he puts a pretty long 2x4 with a V cut in the top, through the bracket to the ground. He lifts the mast, walking the length from the mast top until he reaches the boat, lifts the mast into the V (which is pretty high up, he's very tall) then gets on the tramp and brings it up the rest of the way. He has a line attached to the forestay that goes around the bridle and he cleats it on the halyard cleat. Then he gets off the tramp and fastens the forestay to the bridle.

I used to step my H-17 mast myself, just lifting it up off the tramp and tying the forestay to a line from a front eyelet. I eventually made a mast stepper setup for when I didn't feel that energetic.

I can't lift my Getaway mast by myself if the Bob is on it. If the Bob is off, I can, and my wife pins the forestay. But usually I use the stepper if it's just the two of us.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Raising the mast with the boat on the ground is easier. This is what I do whenever possible. The boat is more stable this way and the person supporting the tip of the mast can get the mast higher relative to the boat, so it's easier for the person standing on the boat to do the lift (they don't have to bend over as far to pick up the mast).

As far as wedging a 2x4 under the mast to prop it up, this sounds like a bad idea not to mention more work than needs to be done. A single 2x4 (pole or whatever) is not going to be stable at all and the mast will almost certainly fall. Some people use a ladder or tripod to help prop the mast up but this is much more stable than a 2x4. Really, if you have two people that are average size/strength you should be able to raise the mast manually without a problem (using good technique).

My recommendation for raising with two people- have one person support the mast near the mast tang, the other person on the boat. The person at the tang lifts the mast as high as possible so the person on the boat can reach down and pick it up and just holds it. Then the other person jumps up onto the boat and both people lift the mast up. Once the mast is up, one person jumps down and pins the forestay.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is what I am using,. I is a Y pole that plugs in into piece of pipe welded into the trailer beam. I always step mast solo this way.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is what i use to raise my mast on my H20 easily. 2 People, both walk the mast backwards, all shrouds and traps connected but free and clear of any snags. The rear person props the mast up onto the mast holder thats about 8 ish feet in the air ( 7 paces rear of rear crossbar and centered in my case ) while the person in front pins the mast step. At this point both people can walk away, its not going anywhere. using a 6' gin pole strapped to base of mast with 2 rings to quick clip the forestay to one side and the winch clip to the other, one person hops up on tramp and guides it straight up the center - not lifting at all, while helper winches to get that mast straight up. Once there, the person on tramp can hold up mast with one hand while the helper at the winch pins the forestay. Its a 5 min process tops...... and thats with a 31' tall mast that raised and lowered cocked @ 90* sideways

Built this using a speaker stand ( holds 150lb all day ) and some creative PVC parts covered with swimming pool JUMBO fun noodle that wont mar the mast....... Field goal ?? :lol:

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is a video of how I do it by myself. Some people didn't like this idea, but the homemade gin pole is more stable than it looks. I also use the halyard line ( extension rope attached) to hold up mast while I put the pin in forestay adjuster. I no longer use the rope method as shown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOUqUosH ... ata_player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GREAT SUGGESTIONS !!!

I THINK I WILL DO A COMBINATION OF ALL OF THE ABOVE AND MAKE IT HAPPEN !!!

YOU GUYS ARE "THE BEST" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

*TIP*

Find a spot where the front of the boat can face down hill as much as possible ( some people have their cats on the trailer backwards, leaning waaay down, strapped on the trailer and raise the mast solo and leave it there till they jump down and casually pin the forestay ) The more the mast is UP and/or the bows are down the easier.

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.