Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking to buy...
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I haven't been sailing much in the past 5 years, but before that I was out every weekend racing my parents 16, 18 and then 20. They sold them all when I went to college and now I'm interested in buying back into the game...

Our family still has a membership at Roton Point Yacht Club, so all I need to do is buy the boat!

Anyone know the list prices for:

FX1
Miracle20
Tiger
Fox

What would the used market look like?

What's the best place for information on buying? Are these forums a good way, or do I really need to work with a dealer?

Thanks!

-Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Firstly, i'd see what they are sailing in your local area and if possible get a boat the same as the fleet. Also visiting your local dealer would also be a good idea. Of course they are in business to sell boats however in my experience most dealers are first and foremost sailors wanting to attract and promote the sport by matching people to the best boats for their skills, needs and ambitions.

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ross:

Do you know that the Alter Cup Championships are taking place at the Roton Point Yacht Club this month (June 2004) from 16th-20th. This year they are being sailed on Hobie 16s. There will be a great group of some of the best sailors there, that you could pick the brains of. Hopefully I will be there along with Greg Thomas, and Tom Korz mostly representing the Formula 18 Tiger group. Then there will be Paul Hess, Mike Montegue representing the Hobie 16s. You can talk to Kirk Newkirk about the Formula 20s and the Miracles. Jim Sajak is a Hobie 14 sailor. I will have to look at the list to see if there are other boats represented. But I would urge you to see if you can find some time to talk to some of these great sailors.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dan-

I'll definitely be there!

If you want to meet up, just give my cell a ring: 646 265 9495

I actually think I might buy the miracle that my dad sold to another member... I took a look and it looks like the buyer hasn't sailed it much at all.

-Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sailed a Miracle for five years. I would still be on it if there where enough sailors on the West Coast to race. I liked the boat a lot. I went to that boat after sailing a Hobie 16 for about 17 years. Now I am on a Tiger and it is a good boat, but the most important thing is that it has a good fleet of racers.

This is where I caution you to get the boat that most in your area are racing. That is if you want to race. Last I heard was that the 16s and the Tigers are pretty popular in your area. If you are thinking about racing Portsmouth with a Miracle I would advise against it. The Tiger rates about the same and they are almost equal speed to weather. That means that you have to sail against a spinnaker boat downwind. They will have almost twice your sail area on that point of sail.

Later,
Dan