Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm getting a beach mast-up spot here at Eagle Creek in Indianapolis and have a question about storage. Is it a bad idea to leave my boat on the cat trax for a long time? I wonder if the single point loading is too much or if the boat will be too unstable when it is tilted up on the cat trax. Any thoughts or experience with this?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:14 am 
Site Admin

Sitting high would allow wind under and possibly exacerbate storm issues. I would slide the trax up close to the bow at the least. Spreads the load better too.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's what I was thinking but then it's difficult to push the cat trax up under the boat when I'm solo sailing.

Maybe I need to make some PVC pipe rollers to move the 10' to the water.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PurdueZach wrote:
That's what I was thinking but then it's difficult to push the cat trax up under the boat when I'm solo sailing.

Maybe I need to make some PVC pipe rollers to move the 10' to the water.

Craddles make it much easier to push or pull wheels under boat. It also aids in the wheels staying in place while under the hulls !!!

David

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Take the boat off the wheels, plant an anchor in the sand under each beam and tie it down. If (when) your boat flips it will damage not only yours but the one parked next to you as well. I can't tell you how many unsecured boats I've seen destroyed by violent wind storms.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks guys. I'll get some PVC pipes to slide the boat down to the water and back. I'm going to make a PVC ladder like this Image

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why do I always see the guys in Europe storing their boats on old tires? Maybe it's rocky there?

I've always been concerned about storing my boat on damp sand. I'm afraid the moisture will soften the glass on the bottom parts of the hull. Or am I just worrying too much?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also for everyone else, I figured out a very easy way to solo load my boat onto cat trax. Tie a long line onto the cat trax axle, position the cat trax under the bows, then run the line under the tramp and back up to the rear traveler cleat, then bring it over the tramp, back to yourself at the front of the boat. I push the cat trax under the boat with my feet and take up the slack in the line. This keeps the cat trax in place until I can walk around and secure them on the sides.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Last year I parked my boat on four old tires instead of trailer at the lake. The rear tires would stay put and I would just move the front ones in and out as the wheels went under. It was simple and worked well.

For this year I built this.

The beach wheels don't even come off. The boat just rolls right in, lifted about an inch to place blocks under the front, which holds them off the wheels. Wheels also stopped in perfect position by crossbar in middle.

To remove. Lift front of boat slightly to pull blocks and just roll to water.

Sent from my stone tablet

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ron, I saw this in your other post. Very cool!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PurdueZach wrote:
Ron, I saw this in your other post. Very cool!

Not to toot my own horn to much, but it really works awesome for my purposes.. Seriously with a little adjustment my wheels just clear the 6x6 blocks in the front, so it just rolls right on and off... It is a dream for me, because the only gel coat damage I ever did to a boat was taking it on and off the trailer. This all but eliminates that problem

If you had cradles you could even build a ramp to go over the front blocks so it was literally in and out without doing anything.. The issue I ran into with my wheels is pushing them up the ramp the wheels would move towards the front of the boat and then try and roll towards the back once over the hump.. You had to tighten them down pretty good to make it look like you were a pro doing it.. :lol: So I went with plan "b", and it works great.

My boat is stored inside a gate on that hard packed almost asphalt so crashing it on the ground isn't an option. Even if I could I dunno if I would leave my boat living in the sand just because wind storms ect wiggling the boat around, and it would stay wet much longer (not like I ever let my dry out anyway :D ).

I will say though.. Simply crashing the boat on old tires worked very well...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:37 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

ronholm wrote:
I will say though.. Simply crashing the boat on old tires worked very well...

That's what we do when we sail in Kingston, Ontario at the Olympic harbor - that is entirely paved in asphalt / concrete. Four old tires under the boat work really well as temporary supports.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have all sand here but I may experiment with some old tires just to keep it off the ground.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Our Hobie is kept on grass, tied down to a steel wire running along the dinghy park. We store ours with the cat trax under the hulls towards the bows, tied down with the righting rope. It's not too difficult to set up when on your own - I just lift one hull, slide the trax along with my foot then do the same on the other hull. After a couple of goes each side it's in the right position.

The biggest issue we have is pulling her back up a gravel beach after a hard day's sailing, peak tidal range is close to 5 yards and sometimes we just don't have enough pull left!