Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RHoughVYC wrote:
ronholm wrote:
Only issue was oddly on both boats (2013's) we struggled to get the gooseneck in the mast track. Not sure what the deal was as we have never had the issue before. Outhaul was totally loose, even loosened bottom batton. Just have to figure that one out next time.

Sent from my stone tablet

I had the same issue with the sails I got. The next time I have them on the boat I'll set them with the tack loose and see what it looks like. The setback on the tack grommet seems to be different on the Euro sails. Rather than shackle the tack I think a spectra lashing would be better. Shackles always seem to be just a bit too big or too small. Lashings are soft, light, and fit exactly. :-)

R

That's a great idea. Take a couple of pics if it works.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was about to make up some loops out of amsteel tonight while splicing outhaul lines.. ect.. Then I found this shackle in my tool box.. It looked to close to want to mess around with tying anything up. Hopefully it works. If not, between it and the other I have which is a bit shorter, and the two holes to choose from, I SHOULD :oops: :lol: be able to get this done..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also I think the Luff rope is a bit smaller than the North American sails.. The rumor I heard is this is supposed to let downhaul changes work a bit smoother or something... All I know is I am going to have to give the bottom of my mast track a bit of a squeeze to help it feed a bit more smoothly.. On my new mast If you weren't paying attention you could not just pinch it at the track, but pull it right on up with the luff rope popped out mid sail..

Totally still love the sails though! :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ronholm wrote:
Also I think the Luff rope is a bit smaller than the North American sails.. The rumor I heard is this is supposed to let downhaul changes work a bit smoother or something... All I know is I am going to have to give the bottom of my mast track a bit of a squeeze to help it feed a bit more smoothly.. On my new mast If you weren't paying attention you could not just pinch it at the track, but pull it right on up with the luff rope popped out mid sail..

Totally still love the sails though! :D

Thanks for the pic. That looks like a promising set up. Is that length is that shackel?

I didn't notice the bolt rope being smaller but I did find it somewhat easier to downhaul than my old sail (once it was finally in the track!).

The other annoying issue I have when raising the sail - theres is a little flap of reinforcing fabric at the top of each batten sleeve that extends across the bolt rope. The little flaps hang up on the sail feeder and at the bottom of the comptip where the plastic luff track starts. It's a pain to get the sail up. I think I'm going to have to take it to a sail maker and ask them stitch the flaps down flat so they don't not hang. Anyone else seen this?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No idea on the exact size of the shackle, but it is roughly about an inch from the pin to the grommet. I am thinking it may be just a bit 'long' but won't really know until Saturday. :D

I noticed the loops also.. They didn't give me much trouble, but I was considering a dab of superglue or something..

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any updates on this "issue". My boat is still in its winter hiding spot. Will be dragging her out and getting her ready for the season soon hopefully!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobiesrock wrote:
Any updates on this "issue". My boat is still in its winter hiding spot. Will be dragging her out and getting her ready for the season soon hopefully!

That shackle I used is pretty close.. Seemed to work well.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pics and measurements of shackle would rock...need to get one ordered up.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did you get it figured out? I totally forgot to grab good measurements over the weekend... We were a little busy. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No not yet. I just put new rail pads and epo2's on the boat. Next up is getting mast out of storage and getting those sails up! :mrgreen:

Cool pic...looks like shackle could be a bit longer with that fold there.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was able to get the new sails up yesterday and they look great! I still need to figure out that shackle length as my solution was too short and left a wrinkle. All of my jib battons needed to be cut down about an inch or two. I love the Velcro retainers.Image

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I added a 1" bow shackle to my gooseneck yesterday and it worked like a charm. Eliminated the pucker in the bottom panel and allowed the gooseneck to slide right into the mast track.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:45 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

ASDASC wrote:
I was able to get the new sails up yesterday and they look great! I still need to figure out that shackle length as my solution was too short and left a wrinkle. All of my jib battons needed to be cut down about an inch or two. I love the Velcro retainers.
We saw you from the Etchells course (I was PRO for them) yesterday - I was like, "I know that guy! - and was telling the story of the sails to the guy on the signal boat who's the Etchells NA class president.

He was completely blown away with the fact that HCE provided sails to the Euro events - and that Hobie Cat still provides boats for the worlds.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Still a work in progress. But getting closer all the time.

:twisted:

Sent from my stone tablet

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Awesome! !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next