Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It looks like I'm going to be moving to the Princeton, NJ area for work. Any suggestions on places to keep/sail my H18SX? I've found the Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club and Shore Acres Yacht Club, but both of those are >1 hour away. Anyone know of any other options (either ocean or inland)?

Thanks,
Steve

1990 Hobie 18SX #2077

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Both of those venues are probably the best sailing from where you are located. In mid summer you can get calm days, but the seabreeze fills in quite nicely after 2pm and by 5pm it is blowing 10, 12, 15 kts.

There is Lake Nockamixon (sp?) in eastern PA where some Hobies sail. But the lake is subject to low water if there's not a lot of rain. Also Round Valley and Spruce Run resevoirs in Hunterdon County. Spruce run being more susceptible to low water. Round Valley is deep 180+'.

Both SHBCC and SAYC are in areas where there is significant power boat traffic, but it is only a problem when the wind isn't blowing. Sandy Hook has the advantage of Sandy Hook National Seashore nearby plus New York Harbor if you're adventurous. Shore Acres has all of northern Barnegat Bay.

There is one other location: on the Atlantic ocean beach in Spring Lake, NJ. There is a moderate annual fee plus you have to show liability insurance.

I mostly sail out of Leonardo on Raritan Bay, near the SHBCC, because it's near where I live. I don't think you can do better than one of those locations in Central NJ. My own opinion leans towards SAYC.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info! Out of curiosity, what makes you lean towards SAYC over SHBCC? Just a nicer area to sail in?

Thanks,
Steve

1990 Hobie 18SX #2077

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steve,
Probably the cost first. The Sandy Hook club has a lot of great features, and I've been on the fence about joining as it's an investment. Second, I like Barnegat Bay a lot, there are a number of interesting places to sail to. The Sandy Hook club area has a headland behind it, so getting back in may be tricky at times as it blocks the SE seabreeze. Shore Acres is open to the south.

SAYC suffered extensive damage from Hurricane Sandy and at present their amenities are limited but enthusiasm is high. They are in progress of funding a new building. I raced a regatta out of there last summer.
SHBCC is a very nice facility. Wide beach, showers/changing rooms, gazebo and lots of social functions, above all... a whole lot of catamarans!

I sail Raritan Bay, where SHBCC is located, all the time on another boat I race on regularly, which may also be why I like a change of scenery.

Sandy Hook does allow guest to sail out of their club a couple times, to try them out. After that you'd be expected to join. I have no idea if SAYC does the same. Both have websites.