Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H14 Turbo Jib
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm considering buying a H14 Turbo. I would like to leave it on the beach all summer. Rather than to use a snorkel to protect the jib, is the jib easily removed like the H16?

Thanks,
Eric

Post subject: Re: H14 Turbo Jib
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The jib is also the forestay on a Turbo. Removing it drops the mast. A snorkel is pretty simple to use. I wouldn't leave the jib on without it. I've seen several Turbo jibs shredded on the beach by wind storms after the furler line shakes loose from its rinky dink little cleat.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I always tie off the furler line, even for a short stint on the beach! Nonetheless, a snorkel's easy to use and also protects the exposed portion of the sail from fading and UV degradation.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a small bungee cord to keep the jib tightly furled while on the beach. It's not as good as covering or lowering it, but it's quick.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Over the winter I converted my H14 to a Turbo, but I rigged mine as a "Mini 16". It has no roller furler and utilizes a separate forestay and jib halyard system like an older (pre-Aussie halyard) Hobie 16. It works great and allows me to remove the jib when I'm not sailing. Here's a link to how it's done: http://midwestsailing-teh.blogspot.com/ ... erger.html. I modified some of the measurements on the rigging based on my own second guessing, but it works great. If you send me a private message with your email address, I can send you the rigging measurements that I used. My motivation for going with the Mini 16 rig was that I didn't want to leave my jib up all season either. My boat is stored mast-up. Even Hobie tells you in their catalog that the jib snorkel is not intended to be a permanent storage solution.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The 14's pretty easy to step the mast! I store mine short term with the mast up and snorkel on. Longer, I put the mast down. I don't race very often, but still wanted to keep her pretty much stock.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Okay. Been 30 years since Hobie sailing on 16 and now my son and I are venturing into 14T. How do you put the snorkle on furling jib?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bully: First of all, when you lower the mainsail, make sure that the nicopress slug doesn't run inside the mast track on the way down. Otherwise, this method won't work. Once the mainsail is down, attach the top of the snorkel to the main halyard shackel, zip up the snorkel as it's raised, tie the bottom off somewhere near the furler, and cleat the main halyard. A word of caution: In stronger wind, the furled jib/snorkel can hit some frequency that makes them (and the whole boat) shake almost violently. After the main halyard is cleated, we run the excess line around the furled jib/snorkel a few feet above the furler, tension it enough to remove slack in the rig, and recleat. Doing this seems to help a lot.

There are probably other ways to rig the snorkel, but this one works for us.