Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The selection of the hard rubber tyre cart was a good one for me. Well it is for 99% of the time. But every now and again, I get to a sandy beach and wish I had the pneumatic tyres.

But pneumatic tyres are bulky, not as rugged and more expensive.

Can the hard rubber tyre cart be modified so that it can travel over sand whilst retaining its ruggedness and not becoming any more bulky ?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrWj3bjv-AE[/youtube]

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting cart mod!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

"From the mind of Slaughter,.." comes another great idea and infomercial. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pretty good cart, terrific video!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well if it gets the nod from the 3 wise men from the Northeast, then I'm happy.

It all started a month or so back when I had to launch from a beach that I've never launched from before. From the car park to the waters edge was a good 100m of softish sand and rather than carry all parts to the waters edge in multiple trips and assemble there, I thought it would be a lot easier to convince myself that the sand was hard and assemble the AI on the cart next to the car. 20 meters from the car, I was bogged, and while I was making those multiple trips to the waters edge, I came up with this brainwave.

It's still in its infancy, and possibly a bit premature to give it a name, but so far, I think it has potential. Thanks for your comments fellas.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: :lol: :lol:
What a scream ...narrow gauge rail tracks indeed, and that carefully positioned stick you ran over! "just chuck it in the bin I suppose". Thoroughly entertaining! 8)
Good to see your idea works. Very clever. You've got me thinking about replacing the 2 outer balloon wheels on my Trax 2X4 with the HD wheels and adding a third balloon wheel inside the supports. I'll have to see if it will fit? Could be a true dual purpose cart as well!
Loved the cooking segment. I ended up getting a vacuum sealer after seeing how well your food turned out at Port Stephens. It's worth it just for the extra room you get in the esky by getting rid of those bulky hard plastic food containers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks mate. Glad you enjoyed it.

Vacuum sealing - Helpful Handy Hint #5. With that Rhubarb and Rasberry desert, some sealers, mine included, have a cutoff if moisture gets into the vacuum line. But it doesn't seem to make a good seal when it does so the solution is to put in in the bag and freezer and freeze before sealing. Dry stuff isn't a problem, even semi-moist. But moist and wet can be.

Got your txt OK. Talk to you tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Oh Slaughter that's a great cart mod. you're always thinking! Terrific video - well done (of course).
I especially liked the the part where you wiped the sides of your plate before eating up - too much, AND desert! :wink: Was that meant for teaching those birds proper serving etiquette? WOW, I may just have to come over to your house for dinner sometime.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Awesome mod! :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why am I not surprised Slaughter! Another "outside the square" mod, combined with yet another excellent video. You even made sailing in the rain look enjoyable!. Next question.. have you thought of marketing your catering for the upcoming Broughton Island trip, so I won't have to hide my sorry efforts in shame. :D :D :D

PS. Maritime is your friend! I have always had 100% positive interaction with the BSOs. Have you been exceeding the 4 knot speed limit? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter:
Off topic (kind of)
You will be happy to hear you now have me hooked on Sous-Vide ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide), we've had one of those foodsaver vacuum sealing machines in our kitchen for years but seldom used it (http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-V3835-V ... aver+v3835). Since watching some of your videos, we have started using the vacuum machine for cooking (sous-vide) as well as food storage for camping (pre made frozen meals cooked and sterilized in the vacuum sealed bags, then frozen). I feel much safer and the food stays pretty safe much longer than anything we have tried before.
Your suggestion about freezing juicy food first is nothing short of brilliant (we have always had a problem with that). After freezing and sealing, the food can then be sterilized in the vacuum bag, then re-frozen (brilliant).

Last week I got some 2 inch thick pork chops at the butcher (pretty much impossible to cook normally, unless you like burnt offering), doing them in the vacuum bag (saus-vide) then finishing them on the grill they came out perfect medium rare and juicy. I've also done steaks, and fish, and everything comes out perfect medium rare every time. We have one of those Nu-wave PIC induction cookers (http://www.nuwavecooktop.com/?ref_versi ... -TRADEMARK). These have really precise temp control ( I tested ours and it maintains whatever temp you dial in plus/minus a couple degrees), great for sous-vide cooking and not very expensive at all (compared to any sous-vide cookers we have found). The best part is it is small and light weight and uses very little power (as compared to an electric or gas cook top). We use the PIC cooktop when dry camping with our camper, it runs for long periods of time with just the battery in the camper and a small inverter so we don't have to run our generator (which is very expensive to run).
It looks to me like you developed your excellent scupper cart idea (great idea) out of necessity so you can get across the sand to prepare your fantastic meals ( LOL). I think I've learned more about camp cooking on this Hobie forum from you and Keith that any place else.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm pretty pleased with this invention but it still isn't up there with my pride and joy viewtopic.php?f=69&t=47049&p=205781&hilit=touch+screen#p205781

sunE – thanks for the accolade. Come over for a feed....anytime.

CGM – thanks mate. Com’n on the Broughton trip ? I think it’s well overdue.

Tony – as far as desert goes, don’t pack anything. Ive got it covered. There may not be babes on the beach waiting to serve with a table full of goodies like in one of Keith’s photos but hopefully we won’t go hungry. BTW, I’ve started a new meditation chant that I will practice on our way out to Broughton. ‘ The Maritime is my Friend’........‘ The Maritime is my Friend’.

fusioneng – the ideas for this type of cooking just keep growing. I’m just in the process of premaking and freezing porridge with yogurt and fruit all combined. Then just heat and serve. There may be some issues though with separation of ingredients and consistency. Dunno yet. But once at camp, it’s less messy, quicker and minimal cleanup ( even less cleanup if after cooking you suck it straight from the bag. )

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

.. just saw this for the first time - very nicely done !!

Watching the roller in action a few times it seems that a perhaps a 2-3 inch groove in the center would give the displaced sand a place to "move" to - just an observation I thought I'd pass along.

cheers ..

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmmmm..........good think'n Alan. I think you might be onto something. It's probably a balance between surface area, approach angle to the sand, weight, type of sand and its moisture content etc etc. May take a bit of fine tuning. Thanks for that.

Last edited by Slaughter on Tue May 20, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

Great work!

That is quite similar to a system used for catamarans. Like an oil drum or large water drum and crossbar.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)