Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: keep a watch out!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

One of our local pros was hit by a inattentive PB'r in a sled this past weekend. He almost always has a GoPro running, so he caught it on video. The great thing is that he wasn't hurt, nor was his Outback. He also stayed upright, but a couple of feet closer could have been fatal. Keep a good watch out. (Jammer was pretty close to the shore and out of the main channel.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADSXNYtL-54&feature=g-all-s[/youtube]

Post subject: Re: keep a watch out!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like he lost his paddle that was clipped on the side. Those boaters seemed anxious to clear the scene quickly. I would have "insisted" they stay around while I assessed the damages. Idiots! He was so fortunate. I'm glad he's ok.

_____
_<>-+ copterchief

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Kudos to the gentleman in the yak. I don’t think I would have been able to keep my calm as well as he did. :evil:

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Sherminator, I was the guy in the yellow Outback anchored on the other side of the river. I was fishing on the other side of the river when Michael got hit. I did not see it happen but saw his kayak twisting back (after being struck). I thought that the boat had only grabbed his anchor line at the time. Michael did not look too upset so I did not even go over and check on him. He and the guys in the boat looked like they were having a nice calm conversation so I did not want to butt in.

Yes the boat did take off at first - to go get Michael's paddle. The guys who hit him were a couple of older guys that were not paying enough attention. They did make sure he was OK. Later, they trolled by me and asked if Michael was OK and I told them I thought he was. It is bad that they were not paying attention, but they were not evil by any stretch of the imagination.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

pdxfisher wrote:
Hey Sherminator, I was the guy in the yellow Outback anchored on the other side of the river. I was fishing on the other side of the river when Michael got hit. I did not see it happen but saw his kayak twisting back (after being struck). I thought that the boat had only grabbed his anchor line at the time. Michael did not look too upset so I did not even go over and check on him. He and the guys in the boat looked like they were having a nice calm conversation so I did not want to butt in.

Yes the boat did take off at first - to go get Michael's paddle. The guys who hit him were a couple of older guys that were not paying enough attention. They did make sure he was OK. Later, they trolled by me and asked if Michael was OK and I told them I thought he was. It is bad that they were not paying attention, but they were not evil by any stretch of the imagination.

Thanks,
Good to hear this side of the story,
The video is on more than a few kayak fishing sites.
Be good to hear Michaels side of the story. The boaters are pretty much being vilified on the web good to hear they came back and did not abandon the scene

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bellcon wrote:
Thanks,
Good to hear this side of the story, The video is on more than a few kayak fishing sites. Be good to hear Michaels side of the story. The boaters are pretty much being vilified on the web good to hear they came back and did not abandon the scene

If you would like to read some of Jammer's (Michael's) reaction, there is a thread on the NorthWest Kayak Anglers website, where Jammer is a frequent participant.

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=8122.0

PDX - I thought that must be you when I cruised by, but you didn't identify yourself - preoccupied with fishing perhaps :wink: When Jammer told Younggun and I he was "hit", he was so nonchalant about it that I thought it must have been a tap by a trolling boat. I was shocked when I saw the actual video. That could have been so much worse. He is one cool and laid back dude.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for telling the full story. It definitely gives a better perspective of the boaters. Sounds like they weren't so evil after all.

_____
_<>-+ copterchief

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sherminator wrote:
Bellcon wrote:
PDX - I thought that must be you when I cruised by, but you didn't identify yourself - preoccupied with fishing perhaps :wink:

I was getting a bite when you all peddled up. I landed it while you all were peddling over to Michael. Plus, I quit going to the NWKA site so I usually just go by John now.

I asked you briefly about your Oasis on the water, but I am curious as to how stable it feels. I will of course eventually test peddle one, but I am curious as to your impression in the meantime. Did you try an Outfitter as well or just the Oasis. I am curious since I would be taking my 8 year old son out with me and he is not the best at sitting still :)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the topic.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

John,

Love the Oasis. Mary and I tried the Outfitter before the Oasis because she was told that it was more stable, but she said she felt more stable in the Oasis. I'm sure that had more to do with the fact that she was getting more comfortable being out in the water. (We tried them back-to-back down at Sellwood Park.) I didn't notice a difference stability-wise, but I sure noticed a difference in speed and maneuverability. The Oasis is much more fun.

We haven't used it out on the salt, but we have used it in heavy current on the Columbia several times, with no problem. We upset once, in knee deep water, when Mary sat up on the rail to check the rudder at the same time I was shifting in my seat just after getting in. Two people moving at the same time can cause problems, if they move to the same side quickly.

My guess is that your son is not heavy enough to affect stability as much as either my wife or me. I would think you would do fine with the Oasis. The Oasis is pretty much a twin Revo, and the Outfitter a twin Outback. The differences should correlate.

You might have noticed that I had a crossbar of 1-1/4" PVC mounted across the center. I am going to make some stabilizer floats from crab floats and PVC pipe that will attach to a 1" PVC crossbar that will slide inside the permanently mounted 1-1/4" PVC. I plan for the floats to ride just above the water, and come into play only when the Oasis is leaning. When I fish with my son James, I think the stabilizer floats may come in handy. Fishing with two people may lead to the aforementioned quick weight shifts.

Understand about having a fish on - I wasn't offended at all. I introduce myself as Sherman - NWKAers put the Sherminator together pretty quickly :) Hope to see you again soon.

Sherman

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sherminator wrote:
John,

Love the Oasis. Mary and I tried the Outfitter before the Oasis because she was told that it was more stable, but she said she felt more stable in the Oasis. I'm sure that had more to do with the fact that she was getting more comfortable being out in the water. (We tried them back-to-back down at Sellwood Park.) I didn't notice a difference stability-wise, but I sure noticed a difference in speed and maneuverability. The Oasis is much more fun.

We haven't used it out on the salt, but we have used it in heavy current on the Columbia several times, with no problem. We upset once, in knee deep water, when Mary sat up on the rail to check the rudder at the same time I was shifting in my seat just after getting in. Two people moving at the same time can cause problems, if they move to the same side quickly.

My guess is that your son is not heavy enough to affect stability as much as either my wife or me. I would think you would do fine with the Oasis. The Oasis is pretty much a twin Revo, and the Outfitter a twin Outback. The differences should correlate.

You might have noticed that I had a crossbar of 1-1/4" PVC mounted across the center. I am going to make some stabilizer floats from crab floats and PVC pipe that will attach to a 1" PVC crossbar that will slide inside the permanently mounted 1-1/4" PVC. I plan for the floats to ride just above the water, and come into play only when the Oasis is leaning. When I fish with my son James, I think the stabilizer floats may come in handy. Fishing with two people may lead to the aforementioned quick weight shifts.

Understand about having a fish on - I wasn't offended at all. I introduce myself as Sherman - NWKAers put the Sherminator together pretty quickly :) Hope to see you again soon.

Sherman

Thanks for the info on the Oasis. When it gets a bit nicer and warm enough for me to feel comfortable about taking the kids out for some demos I will check out the Oasis and the Outfitter. I am guessing that the Oasis is the way to go based upon your comments and my reading of the specs.

See out on the water.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any advice on fish finders for Oasis? Does anyone use good portable finders? If so, how do you achieve a secure mount to the kayak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk