Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

bjb wrote:
I like his idea. Looks like the basic plastic hand siphon pump, I picked one up @ Home Depot, about $3. Cut out the 2 check valves & trim the surrounding plastic. Silicone into seat drain holes from bottom of hull, valve facing towards back.

I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet, but for $3, it's worth a shot!

It looks like I got the exact same siphon but I was able to just slide the inner valve out of the outer "tube." The inner "tube" slides in the bottom of the scupper hole like it was meant to be there. Time will tell if they stay in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A single dab of silicone is cheap insurance

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:P DM06...great minds think alike...I bought similar poly siphons in the auto-parts section at Walmart. Each siphon had two valves. Note which way the valve seat runs...use only the valve that opens downward. I carefully cut the valves out of the siphons. Using a dab of silicon adhesive, the valves popped into the scupper holes perfectly. They have stayed in all summer. The scuppers drain more slowly because the valves have a smaller diameter...but at least I don't have to sit in water any longer. Cheap to replace about $2.
Too bad Hobie does not manufacture a screw-in scupper valve.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

TIDALWAVE wrote:
:P DM06...great minds think alike...I bought similar poly siphons in the auto-parts section at Walmart. Each siphon had two valves. Note which way the valve seat runs...use only the valve that opens downward. I carefully cut the valves out of the siphons. Using a dab of silicon adhesive, the valves popped into the scupper holes perfectly. They have stayed in all summer. The scuppers drain more slowly because the valves have a smaller diameter...but at least I don't have to sit in water any longer. Cheap to replace about $2.
Too bad Hobie does not manufacture a screw-in scupper valve.

Don't get me started on Hobe and a lack of valves lol. Sounds like your siphon was a bit different than mine if you were only able to use one of the valves. With mine I just sawed the housing apart and was able to slide out two identical valves.

Really looking forward to testing this mod out, and you mentioned the best part: $2!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I confirm that both actual valves are indeed identical once removed from their housings.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:? I don't think that the siphons I bought at Walmart are the same as those from Home Depot. The plastic barrel around the valves were not identical for the in and out valves. The in-valve barrels
would not snap into place in the scupper holes, while the out-valves snapped into place like they were made for Hobie. I used a little silicon adhesive just to hold the valves in place just in case.
But because they were so cheap I didn't care that I had to buy a couple extra. Any part for a sailboat that only costs a couple of dollars is like getting it for free!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do these valves work well?

In particular, do they work if the bottom of the seat is below water level?

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Peter, they cannot overcome the laws of physics, so when you are stationary, water can get up through the scupper. However, when you are moving forward, the vavle operates with a venturi effect, and any water up in the scupper gets drained out. Let's face it, Islands are wet boats, and your bum gets wet either from waves over the sides or water coming up from below. However, these valves DO stop you sailing in a pool of water....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A valve is supposed to let water flow in one direction and not the other, so water should flow out when the seat is above the water level or Venturi sucks it out, but never flow back in - even if the boat is stationary and the seat below the water level. The problem with the ball valves that I've been trying to build is, I suspect, that there's not enough water pressure to force the ball to block the hole, and so water trickles back up into the seat.

Do your flap valves work any better?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No, the flap hangs open. The only wat to avoid this is by having a buoyant flap, like a ball valve you are describing.But let's be serious here... when you are sailing a vessel that can throw spray over your head at speed, a wet arse is a minor issue! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fair enough. The answer may be to take the bungs out when sailing and leave them in when peddling on flat water - which is probably what Hobie intended. :-)

Raising the seat slightly may also help.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's what I ended up doing (raising the seat).
I just cut a 1 1/2 inch piece if foam, put it in a mesh bag along with the seat bottom and cinched the bag shut in the back. I used a lobster catch bag but a laundry bag also works.
I just leave the scuppers open and they drain on their own. My bum stays dry above the water level and the seat is way more comfortable. At least with my bum, the stock seat gets uncomfortable after about an hour of sitting, so the padding kills two birds with one stone. I have heard that the I comfort seat pad from Hobie also works very well.
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll probably end up raising the seat as well. I didn't see much improvement with the valves but it didn't much matter as it was near the end of the season and I was wearing my Army issue wet weather gear to stay warm/dryish. Was keeping my bum dry. Now that I've had to turn that stuff back in though I'll either need to raise the seat or hit the ol Army/Navy store for some more goretex gear.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DM06

I sail my revolution and kayak fish often. After many trials and errors of one way scupper valves and still having a puddle this was my solution and it works flawlessly.
No more puddle and one way valves do not let the water back in. The seat was not elevated where I needed to adjust any strap connections.

I can now fish for hours with no puddle and sail with no water coming back in an open scupper.

I am more than satisfied with the result.

I posted in the open kayak forum.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=50847

Revo

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cool !!

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV