Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

All the parts are done. I Just need to assemble them. Everything has been trial fitted successfully. I had to cut the prop down but then found a slightly smaller one at walmartImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How did it do on the water? I have been using asp 24 for may be 100 miles on the water, with the original prop and its been great.

But a larger prop does sound interesting...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It went fantastic. I still have to sort out where to run the cable but I was doing 8.89 kph at top speed and 1.75 kph at lowest speed. With both down riggers out trolling small gear for trout I didn't notice an appreciable drop in speed. I was out for 4 hours at variable speeds and still had 85% charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just to make sure - you installed the Motorguide prop from Walmart onto Watersnake ASP T24 ?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Have you tried the MINN KOTA PROPELLER PROP 2031151 MKP-1 1378111 - if not, why not?!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Gemitaur wrote:
What did you do to prevent the motor from pivoting around in the plug?

There's a "set screw" of sort in the pic - any wood screw would do. Drill undersized hole from either side of the plug, so that the screw would push into the shaft of the motor, works real good.

Also, it makes it easy to remove the motor from the plug, should you need to.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, bought mkp1 and modified it to fit the asp 24. It fits like a glove, perfect transition from the motor to the prop, same diameter.
But, when on the water, there is no gain in thrust and it almost feels that some thrust is lost.

So if you are after a sturdier prop, mkp could be your ticket, but don't expect any gain in speed.

I wish they had 30lb thrust motor of same size as asp 18/24, with dual blade prop.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Are the 18 and 24 asp the same physical size? I am about to order one online bc I can't find them locally. If they are the same size I might as well go with the 24 right?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yak Finaddic wrote:
Are the 18 and 24 asp the same physical size? I am about to order one online bc I can't find them locally. If they are the same size I might as well go with the 24 right?

Go the 24 - the salt water version

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Are you folks able to stab the whole unit (motor + prop) through the mirage drive hole when you insert into your Hobie, or are you having to install the prop back on after inserting only the motor? This looks like a fantastic add for my PA12.

Thanks for all of the great ideas on this forum.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Asp 18 and 24 are the only trolling motors, outside of torqeedo, that drop right through the mirage drive opening, with prop on, without requiring any twisting, turning and angling. Main reason I went with watersnake.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Note that in order to remove the motor, you will need to reach in there and adjust the prop so that it is vertical, otherwise the prop will not clear the opening. I do it with my hand. Zee Germans, being so much more industrious, use a thin metal strip

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am a new owner. Very good info on this forum! I built a trolling motor using a 24# thrust water snake and took it out on Lake Erie (if anyone fishes near Fermie please let me know). Ran well but not long. Bought a new AGM Battery. Here is my question. Where do I mount it? I want to use the front hatch to store items.

It fits perfect under my feet between the posts, but I am concerned the weight (38 lbs) could damage the hull in large waves. There is not a lot of movement from top to bottom, and no movement left to right.

Common wave size is 3'.

Has anyone installed it here with no issues?

Can't figure out how to post pictures from my iPad, it looks great though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Its been over a year now that I had the setup and here r some updates:

- still in love with the setup. Dozens of outings, hundreds of miles traveled . Both the battery and the motor as good as new.

- the trickiest part by far is waterproofing. Both the connections and control enclosure along with the switches in it. Saltwater and electricity are extremely hostile to contacts/switches, so fewer of em you have, the merrier. To control ASP T24, I use 2 DPDT switches (one to choose direction, 2nd one to chose high/lo speed). These do die every now and then, so it helps to have a setup where you can replace em. 6 pack of 20A DPDT rocker switches is $6 on Amazon. A tell-tale sign of a switch going bad is when it gets hot during operation. Replace it.

- Amazon & PROC keep amazin me. Now they have a $14 power meter: Voltage Power Analyzer Watt Meter . I use it both on the water, to see much juice was consumed and when I charge the battery (how much went into the battery). Godsend.

- You dont really need anything larger than 24lb thrust for a yak. Watersnake is outright amazing. So light, dirt cheap and fits right through the mirage hole, simple drop in/take out procedure, takes seconds (!). When launching/landing, I stow the entire unit under the front hatch

- at some point, I might try reversing the unit so that when going forward, I have the prop facing forward. It seems you get more thrust that way. Where I yak, there's no change of hitting any underwater obstacles. Another thing I might try is making a fairing for the motor shaft. A-la http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-d ... post305142 . I have about 10" of 1" motor shaft exposed to the water and a simple fairing has a chance of reducing drag considerably, as per article:

"Another thought on the fairing. I learned today that the round shaft has a Cd of .47 while the teardrop fairing has a Cd of .09. Even considering the shaft is 1.125 thick and the fairing is 1.5" thick, that means the drag coming from the shaft is reduced by a factor of 4 - tha'ts a lot when working with such small power levels. Also, it think the fairing helps the prop work more efficiently (no proof, though) because the round shaft leaves a turbulent wake and a lot of air right in front of the prop. The fairing smoothes out this flow."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Back in the day, when I had 35AH AGM, it fit under the front bin (the bin itself, not just under the lid), to the either side of the mast pole tube. It would also fit under the center latch - at expense of getting rid of plastic boxes in there.

I like my batteries inside of the hull. Due to lower center of gravity, makes you more stable when on the water, easier to right the yak when you flip (note use of "when", not "if"). Having the battery on top reverses these into negatives.

Smeltdipper wrote:
I am a new owner. Very good info on this forum! I built a trolling motor using a 24# thrust water snake and took it out on Lake Erie (if anyone fishes near Fermie please let me know). Ran well but not long. Bought a new AGM Battery. Here is my question. Where do I mount it? I want to use the front hatch to store items.

It fits perfect under my feet between the posts, but I am concerned the weight (38 lbs) could damage the hull in large waves. There is not a lot of movement from top to bottom, and no movement left to right.

Common wave size is 3'.

Has anyone installed it here with no issues?

Can't figure out how to post pictures from my iPad, it looks great though.