Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: getaway buying advice
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looked at a 2002 getaway this afternoon. I am seriously considering buying it. This will be my first sailboat. It seems to be in generally good shape other than the front tramp being torn. The sails and rigging are stored elsewhere. The owner says they are in very good shape. I am going to inspect them early next week and intend to buy it unless something is very wrong. Is there anything I need to be cautious of when looking at a getaway?

Do you see anything wrong in the photos?

Is the slight hull deformation from sitting on the rollers something to be concerned about?

What should a boat like this sell for?

Any other advice?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The indent in the skeggs is not big deal. Look closely for cracks or rust around the hardware in the transform. Look closely where the hulls attach to the crossbars for cracks. Check for loose or stripped screw along the bracket that holds the tramp to the hull. Check for rust in the wheel hubs on the trailer. These boats usually sell used for between 3 to 5k. You should consider replacing the shroud wires and bridle.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply. I didn't see any signs of stress or cracking on the hulls. They look to be in excellent shape. Hopefully the sails are as promised and I'll have a new (to me) boat next week just in time for summer.

One more question - is it possible to hand launch a getaway? I know it is fairly heavy. Is there a good way to get it down to the beach? The reason I ask is there is a smallish local lake that is hand launch only. It would be prefect to take the new boat out and figure out what I'm doing...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think the Getaway is too heavy to hand launch, if by that you mean carry it down to the water. Get a set of beach wheels (cat trax) and it's easy breezy to roll the boat down to the water. Some people have made their own wheels, but this looks like a lot of work to me as compared with the price. On my trailer, the wheels ride on the trailer underneath the tramp for transport. Good luck with your boat! Holland.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I bought the boat and we picked it up yesterday. We took it to a nearby lake to see if it floats - it does! It was a blast. It took me a little while to figure out the mainsheet rigging, but once that all got figured out it was golden. The wind was not great, but we got a few good gusts that got us moving pretty good.

I have a few questions:

The shrouds had to be on the tightest hole to pull tension on the mast. Am I correct to assume that this is not right and that they need to be replaced?

What is the most accurate way to tell what direction the wind is coming from? I was just going by feel, but is there a better way to tell? Sometimes the wind was so light that it was imperceptible, but was still moving the boat, albeit extremely slowly.

My goal is to use the getaway as something like a day sailer to cruise around Lake Tahoe. Is there a good way to bring gear other than having it all piled on the trampoline? How do you bring an ice chest/food? Does anyone make something for this purpose that can be put on for cruising and taken off when there are good winds and you want to race around?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Best wind indicator I've run across is about 9 inches of cassette tape tied to each shroud wire. It's light enough to move in the lightest air.

We use the two storage compartments in the hulls for food/water. I got some soft cooler bags that just fit with some space left over for freezer packs.

For gear I have a dry bag that clips onto the front tramp just ahead of the mast. Out of the way but close enough to get to something when you need it.

I have a swim ladder, paddle, and docking bumpers under the wing seats.

This keeps the main tramp clear for crew.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
The shrouds had to be on the tightest hole to pull tension on the mast. Am I correct to assume that this is not right and that they need to be replaced?

The wires are a few years old. Replacing them will give you some peace of mind, I would replace them. I once had a shroud wire fail on my 14 the middle of the lake! It made for a good story. I was lucky I was sailing solo and didn't get smashed by the mast :).

However should double check your rigging to make sure something isn't screwy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with replacing the shrouds and forestay. I bought a used H-17 that the seller told me had recently replaced standing rigging. A shroud failed and the mast came down! Luckily, we were on the local little lake, and not way out on Lake Michigan!

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i have a 2003 or 2004 Getaway and replaced shrouds and headstay
last year, and wing covers and this winter had to get a new front
tramp, non hobie, due to price, was still a lot. I like having the front
tramp.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

my trailer came with double rollers all around.
i can launch using cat trax alone without to much trouble
depends on sand and slope..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I ordered a new front tramp from SLO sail and canvas. Hoping to get it next week. There are some parts, mainly on the forestay assembly that are getting worn out. I think I'll just bite the bullet and replace all of the shrouds. I'd rather do that then have one break with my family on the boat.

Anyone have a good source for shrouds and parts for the getaway?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A lot of sailing centers are set up to make shrouds of any length. Check around in your area.

Is the front tramp from SLO a net like the original, or a mesh like the rear tramp? Let us know how it works out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

wxup wrote:
A lot of sailing centers are set up to make shrouds of any length. Check around in your area.

Is the front tramp from SLO a net like the original, or a mesh like the rear tramp? Let us know how it works out.

SLO front tramp - It is "8oz. polypropylene basket weave mesh". Just regular tramp material, rather than the open mesh that is stock. I ordered it with the Tenara thread and zippered pocket as well. I will post photos of everything when it comes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A couple other things to check: the attachment of the bridle wires at the front crossbar, those pad eyes (or straps) wear out over time, see if they are getting thin at the point of wear; same for the forestay attachment at the mast, make sure the shackle or whatever is up top is also not wearing thin. I have had both of these areas fail, so a good inspection can avoid that problem.

Congrats on your boat, and I hope you have a great time with it!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The tramp came today. Looks very nice. I'm hoping that zippered pocket week be useful. In the process of moving so probably won't get a chance to install it for a week or two ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk