Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am tired of having to flip my Outback over to launch it. I am using a small row boat trailer with cross members so it rides stable up side down.. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to trailer the yak up right without deforming the bottom??

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

same way as the PA, run bunks lengthways the yak on each side of the keel bulge. With the PA you can use PVC, might have to do a little engineering for the OB...

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I purchased a cheap harbor freight trailer for my outback and retrofitted it with 6" PVC for the bunks. Worked like a charm and had great contact throughout the hull bottom. I did not find that I needed smaller PVC diameter to bend based on the Outbacks hull.

Now have 2 AIs and fitted 2.5" PVC pipes as bunks. Based on their hull bottoms, flexing of the pipe is key

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Look at this option. I use it for my outback. <http://www.amazon.com/Malone-SeaWing-Saddle-Universal-Carrier/dp/B0015QADX2>

Malone Seawings are a great investment and hold the yak in place for traveling. I also tie down fore and aft just in case the straps loosen and let the yak slide forward or backwards.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Solution: Two words

THULE HULLAVATOR http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/ ... xt-_-18974

I've had mine since 2011. fantastically engineered piece of equipment and a real back saver. Worth every penny.

Lifetime warranty. Check it out. You have no idea how cool and efficient this system is. A true bargain if you plan to use your kayak with any frequency. Try it, you'll love it!

'

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a very similar problem. I have been trailering my Outback on its gunwales, as recommended, using a Yakima Rack and Roll. I too am tired of lifting the Outback off the rack and carrying it to the water. The fun then continues with going back and forth to my vehicle for the stuff to fit out the kayak. First, there is attaching the seat, fish finder, battery, rod holders, and tackle box. Then next is loading the rods, snacks, and a couple of nalgene bottles. Lastly, there is the miscellaneous stuff like rain gear, jacket, etc.

In contrast, I used Mako Saddles and Hully Rollers to transport my PA. In the future, I intend to transport my Outback the same way as the PA. By transporting top side up, I can fit out the kayak before driving to the water. I can then slide it onto the hobie cart and wheel it to the water. I should have been transporting the Outback top side up years ago. My only defense is that I never laid claim to being a fast study.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I trailer my PA and OB loaded and right to the water. Slide them in and go, hardly ever use my dolly.