Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all

Is the Getawey much slower then the H16 or Nacra 500?
Does the stability comes at the expense of speed ?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Portsmouth Handicap tables reveal the following ratings

Hobie 16 76.0
NACRA 500 76.2
Getaway 82.9

This "yardstick" rating may be adjusted based on elapsed time racing results under various, recorded wind conditions.

Consider these guidelines given in the instructions for their use

For Best Results and Fair Handicapping: Group boats into fleets by handicaps, if desired. Look for clusters of boats with similar D-PNs. Consider imposing time limits. Rapidly changing weather conditions during a race can upset the handicapping system. Courses for handicap races should include fairly equal amounts of beating, reaching and running. Courses can be combinations of triangular, modified Gold Cup, Olympic, and windward-leeward. RCs should take advantage of water available and set appropriate windward legs to get a course reasonable in length.

http://www.ussailing.org/portsmouth/pyindex.htm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ido wrote:
Does the stability comes at the expense of speed ?

yes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have owned a 16, 21 Sport Cruiser, and now own a Getaway.

The Getaway is slower if you have 1 or 2 people on it. With three or more, the Getaway is the probably faster. The capacity of the Getaway is much higher and it is a much more comfortable boat.

The Getaway does not point quite as well as the 16 in my experience.

--Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the answer - In case I an going to sail most of the time with a friend or sometime even solo - "How slow" it is ? Minor ? or significant ?
(Now I am sailig a Nacra 500 from my club)

Thanks again for your time

Ido

Last edited by ido on Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ido,

We raced against a Getaway this year. A guy showed up and they threw him in with the four 16's. I spoke with him and he had been racing wednesday nights against monohulls on handicap. He raced solo and carried a spinnaker. In the first two races he held his own and was never more than a half mile behind the top two 16's, beating the other two. When the wind picked up in the last races, the lead 16's were gone, no competition.

Mind you that racing was strictly upwind/downwind courses.

In regards to Dougs comments, there's a Getaway at our lake that is see LOADED up (talking at least five every time, adults and kids) that reaches back and forth in the big blows. The skipper sits up on the wing with a big ole permanent smile. No one trapezes, they seem to have a ball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I feel that I must chime in here since I have owned both over the last few years. I was introduced to sailing on a 16 as a young adult. It was undoubtedly the reason I enjoy sailing so much. I would have to say that both are equally fun to sail. The differences it would seem is that the 16 is a more technical boat. The 16 is typically seen as a racing boat (as compared to a Getaway). Although the Getaway can be easily adapted for racing, I believe it is valued for it's recreational capacity.

As I get older, I find myself leaving the shores with a Getaway more often than with the 16. The Getaway is easier to use, can carry a larger load, and is tough as can be. When I am flying a hull with the Getaway, I don't notice that the boat may be slightly slower. Both are just as much fun in that regard. The Getaway looks fast, feels fast, and is as much fun as the 16 used to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Getaway ... family mini-van

Hobie 16 ... Ferrari!

We flew a hull on the H16 with my Wife and two kids on board! Not going to happen on a Getaway, the H16 tacs much better and handles much better - from a performance standpoint.

The Getaway is a floating playground for kids with lots of space for them to keep active. No boom to take anyone's head off. The batten smarts but doesn't leave a mark :) Going to picnic on an island with two families with 8 total? Uhm, don't try that on the H16, it wouldn't be fun.

It's a tough choice! If you have a boat club in your area you may be able to get the best of all worlds with a variety of boats in their fleet that membership gives you access to.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ido wrote:
Thanks for the answer - In case I an going to sail most of the time with a friend or sometime even solo - "How slow" it is ? Minor ? or significant ?
(Now I am sailig a Nacra 500 from my club)

Thanks again for your time

Ido

Not sure why, if you sail solo or with a friend, AND you're used to sailing the 500, you'd consider anything other than the 16? Even if you're just starting out your skills will only improve with time and so will a craving to go faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wife and I weigh a total of just under 400 lbs. Where we live we can count on winds in the 10-15 mph range just about any day, and 15-20+ most days. Always from the same general direction (trade winds).

With that weight, and those winds, would you still claim a huge advange of the H16 over a getaway? What if we wanted to put another couple of "normal" sized people on board?

Post subject: Getaway slower?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In those conditions you are going to go fast and have fun no matter what cat you're sailing. Pick a boat whose features you like best and go enjoy yourselves!
Factors that might be relevant: Getaway much more forgiving as you add weight. If you are in an area of extreme shallows and lots of coral, rotomolded might be better than fiberglass. You can leave the rotomolded boat in the water for extended periods without worrying about hull blistering.
Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh, we got LOTS of coral heads here. We also got a reef system circling the island chain. Marine limestone outcroppings abound, but they dont tend to be sharp on the ocean side. Sharp as can be on the Banks side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The H16 is not comfortable for 4 adults for more than 15 minutes. The Getaway still sails fairly well with 5 or 6 adults (we have done it).

Also, with coral, the Getaway is fairly bombproof.

16s used tend to be really cheap. And Getaways hold there value really well. Therefore, you can't go too wrong.

--Doug

Post subject: Canibul
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the getaway with wings, righting pole and seitech dolley.
My espousa and I weigh in at 375. Don't tell her I said that. We go out in 15-25 knots ourselves or with 2-3 others. No problems except not everyone can sit on the same wing. 450 lb limit per wing.
You need the same package. The seitech dolley is dear but pays for itself many times over. The righting pole will save your butt when you sail solo.
jjp