Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello, all.

I just recently bought an AI and was curious as to how my fellow Florida residents gear up to stay dry when out on the water for an extended period of time?

Living in Florida I know that the water is often never too cold, especially in the southern part of the state, but I am looking to guard against whatever chill may come from extended wetness, but still be VERY breathable and not be too hot when the sun is out; and if it is not asking TOO much, is there gear out there that would be comfortable/light enough to go out for a burger and a beer after a loong day's sail?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, that is a very tough question. It really begs the question: how old are you? Do you use spray skirts? (miniskirts: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=285 & http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=300) Do you use the I-Comfort inflatable cushion from Hobie? (I-Comfort sits on top of the basic Hobie seat cushion).

You are not going to find anything which keeps you warm and dry in both summer & winter. In the summer, a wet suit might be fine and you could probably stop some place & get a beer, but as soon as it starts cooling (like in the Fall or Spring), I would want something that keeps me dry, AND, warm. I would skip all the things (I've tried them) that you think might work and go straight to some dry pants w/ integral sock, e.g., Kokatat Hydrus 3L dry pants (http://www.nrs.com/product/25051/kokatat-hydrus-3l-tempest-dry-pants-with-socks) On top, I wear either a relatively light-weight Kokatat Gore-Tex anorak with latex cuffs/neoprene neck closure or a more serious Kokatat Gore-Tex hooded anorak w/ latex cuffs/neoprene neck closure if the weather is nasty. These dry pants/anorak systems are not going to win any fashion prizes, but they will keep you warm and dry, plus they are a bit more flexible if it warms up mid-day. If you want to go out in serious cold weather (even in Jacksonville,) a dry suit might be in order.

Don't kid yourself--being wet for extended periods can lead to hypothermia anywhere in Florida. Of course, a lot depends on your age and physical condition. You are the judge.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I keep a set of Frogg Toggs stowed in a dry bag regardless of conditions and what ever else Im wearing/bringing. They are VERY light weight and extremely packable ... and only cost around $50 for a set. I bought a set that permanently stays in the AI

I was out last summer on a hot 90deg full sun day with no stronger than 10 mph winds - I was in swim trunks, a Tshirt and my PFD

By late afternoon I was baked and the sun was mostly obscured and the wind and chop were up considerably and I had a few miles to sail back to the launch site. Within about a half hour or so I was chilled to the bone from the spray (dripping wet) and wind and being sun-soaked ... when I remembered the FroggToggs and what a tremendous difference they made. Within a few minutes the shivvers had gone away and I patted myself several times on the back for having them on board.

Quote:
The Frogg Toggs Pro Advantage suit, previously called the Frogg Toggs Pro Angler Suit, is constructed of three layers of polypropylene material with a center layer of microporous film. Because the pores are 20,000 times smaller than a water droplet, moisture cannot penetrate. Body vapors escape while wind and rain stay out keeping you cool and dry. The patented seaming process eliminates needle holes and possible water entry. The entire suit weighs less than 1 pound. The Frogg Toggs Pro Advantage Rainsuit is able to store easily in a tackle box, golf bag or motorcycle storage compartment.
Also, The Pro Advantage Suit features a roomy jacket with a hood that zips into the collar. A storm flap that snaps closed to keep wind and rain out covers the full-length zipper. The Bibs are of the same construction as the pants and feature a zippered front and 11" leg zippers. With many more feature

http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/Suits.shtm

They have lighter colors as well

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Excellent advice, and thank you for it.

BTW, I'm 46, in good health and an excellent swimmer, but extremely novice solo sailor.

I should be able to find the Frogg Toggs locally, and when the weather cools down I can look into a dry suit. I live in Jacksonville, where the water is a bit chilly, even in the summer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I love my Kokatat Hydrus dry pants. Often, I just wear a pair of shorts under them, so that when I get to shore, I just pull them off, slip on some sneakers, and I'm ready to go to the most fashionable beach bar. The Frog Togs are fine. I also carry a wind-breaker jacket which actually goes over my Gore-Tex anorak--Gore-Tex is breathable and will keep you dry, but it is not a windbreaker. You can get wind chill with a simple Gore-Tex top. What I have always hated about a simple jacket like Frog Togs, is that you pick up water in the lower sleeve. Then, at some point you raise your arm, and that cold, collected water runs down your arm and onto your back and side. That is why I like to wear my anorak with latex cuffs, if the water is 75 deg or colder--no surprises when you raise your arm.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
I also carry a wind-breaker jacket which actually goes over my Gore-Tex anorak--Gore-Tex is breathable and will keep you dry, but it is not a windbreaker. You can get wind chill with a simple Gore-Tex top.
Keith

Keith,
We use our Goretex Paclite jackets as windbreakers often. They do stop the wind. What they are not are insulators. A fleece jacket under the Goretex insulates.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFRLWbLq ... r_embedded
Your point about water in the sleeve is a good one. Our jackets only have a velcro strap and you can forget to do it up. Unfortunately a wet shirt sleeve is the 'too late' reminder!

We have a range of Goretex jackets and pants that we use depending on the season. Our preference is for Paclite as it is very flexible and you can add layers underneath. One of our favorites are the Alp-X shorts and 3/4 pants designed for cycling. They work well to stop the wet butt syndrome, (as long as you remember to open the seat drain plugs) as water can get in at the rear pocket zip.
In winter I wear Peak UK Storm paddling pants with built in socks which are brilliant.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy--those Peak UK Storm paddling pants with built in socks are similar to the Kokatat Hydrus pants w/ socks that I use--yeah, they are great. The UK Peak pants do not seem to be available in the US.

Gore-Tex does not keep you warm. Both Gore-Tex and the Hydrus pants can be worn in warmer weather than you might expect because you can splash water on them. The separate anorak top can be taken off in the middle of the day. Fashionable, they are not, but they are functional.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While I do agree with you both that there are MUCH better solutions compared to the Frogg Toggs, they also come with a much higher investment cost.

I suggested the FroggToggs as cheap entry level gear that will provide some if not most of the objective while minimizing the sting to the wallet in additional gear needed to "get out there" for someone who just purchased an Island and may feel said wallet a bit slim - especially not knowing if they are committed yet.

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV