Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello,
When in rougher water I have been getting some water in the hull. By process of elimination I am pretty sure it is getting in the rudder hole openings. I saw somewhere on the forums that the first year 2006 adventures don't have a gasket at the rudder line openings that was added later. Does anyone have any advice on repairing this? Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:19 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The rudder lines are supposed to enter the hull through tubes located at the stern. The tubes have an external end cap with a hole for the line -- they sometimes were pulled out of the tubes by the action of the rudder lines. The old tubes were drawn up to the underside of the rear hatch with the idea of keeping any entering water from extending past this point by gravity. In rough water this didn't always work. To make matters worse, there is an indentation at the stern where the lines enter (on the old Adventures) that collects standing water (subsequently redesigned).

New tubes were developed a couple of years later with internal seals. They are an improvement but not perfect. If the water is bothering you, you can order a universal line and tube assembly kit -- look on pg 48 of the online Hobie parts catalog for the part #. This should greatly mitigate any leaking from the lines. Before you order, look over the installation and make sure you can reach all the tie points.

If only your caps are missing, it looks like you can order new caps (same page). You will not have sealed tubes though and the caps can be rather difficult to poke the line through. On the kits, the lines are pre-inserted through the tubes -- much easier to use. 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you Roadrunner! I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I got the new rudder lines. Can see in the tube the little diaphragm around the string to keep out water. However for the life of me I see no way to change them out. At least the ones going to the lever for raising and lowering the rudder, it is just too far away on a 2006 adventure. Any suggestions? I am sure this is where my leak problem is after doing a test. Would really like to change them out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:55 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I have never done this, but watched someone else once. I think you can feed the line and tube in from the outside stern, access it through the rear hatch, tie the end to a big nut, tilt the boat and toss it forward down the side. Then you will access it from the mid hatch. Alternatively, you might be able to tie it onto the old line and pull it forward to the mid hatch where you will have access to the up/down controls.

Maybe someone else has personal experience with this and would have a recommendation? 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The problem is attaching them to the rudder levers. There has to be a way to do this it was initially installed after all! I think the levers need to be detached and then re attached with the new lines on, adjusting the distance at the rudder. I removed the allen screw holding the levers in place, but the shaft below was still fixed.