Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was thinking of buying a piece of mesh as long as the beam on my H16, folding it in half the long way, and lashing it to the forward pylons so it hangs across the dolphin striker, so I could stow floatation vests, water bottles, extra line, a small paddle, and other lightweight-but-bulky objects that I don't want sitting on the trampoline when I'm sailing.

Does my description make sense, and has anyone else tried anything similar? Or are there other common solutions to this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would think that would be a problem when you hit a wave as it would bring you to a dead stop. I hook life jackets around the hiking straps on the tramp.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:08 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I would think it would be a problem when you fall off and you're not wearing your life jacket, but that's just me.

(Just like seat belts, they only work if you wear them.)

On a practical matter, I think you'll find that it's hard to keep things in a open mesh bag in any kind of seaway. A bag on top of the trampoline works much better. A paddle can be stashed under the center tramp lacing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
I would think it would be a problem when you fall off and you're not wearing your life jacket, but that's just me.

(Just like seat belts, they only work if you wear them.)

Last weekend... A couple younger sailors took a Wave out to play.. One was less experienced the other has plenty... The boat popped up and main sheet was dropped.. It came back down a bit hard from flying I guess and both of them fell off and into the lake.. The boat quickly sailed away with their life jackets on board.. They were quite some distance from shore and the less experienced one was even wearing pants.. (which he took off, but didn't know how to make them into flotation.)

On shore some time had passed before we noticed we hadn't seen the boat.... and we just figured we would check up on them before loading Race committee boats on the trailer... Sure enough there was the Wave being pulled by a ski boat flogging the sails.. The kids said several boats went right by them in the middle of the lake thinking they were just playing before the boat full of drunks stopped to pick them up and help rescue the boat..

The wave was probably 1/2 mile or more away hung up in tree stumps...

That could have ended very badly..

MBounds wrote:
On a practical matter, I think you'll find that it's hard to keep things in a open mesh bag in any kind of seaway. A bag on top of the trampoline works much better. A paddle can be stashed under the center tramp lacing.

EXTRA life jackets clip under the tramp in the lacing pretty easy... I have a couple bags which clip under the tramp along the center lacing, and I find that works quite well.. Maybe I am just a dummy... But every time I try and tie up anything on top of the tramp, the jib or even the main sheet ends up fouled up in it... I see people with soft coolers and all kinds of junk... It never seems to work out for me.. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a 4 x 5 cargo truck bed net at a local auto parts store
and intend to put it up fore of the front crossbar. Reason is I had
a Spinnaker installed by my friendly Dealer and I can see that at times
it may get wet on retrieval. Spinnaker has not been flown yet.
Hope it will go up on Fathers Day !!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I tried the cargo net idea, it's content would get hit by waves a lot while sailing on lake Erie, plus the more weight you put in the more it hangs down so I took it off

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jgys - The concensus of opinions seem to be that a mesh bag in front of the forward pylons is a bad idea; and I agree. But, like yourself, I don't like bulky items sitting on the trampoline when I'm sailing. I'll take an expandable paddle with me if the winds are light and store it under the straps for the tramp as far forward as I can. I have one of those small bags from Murrays Marine which attaches to the center lacing for the tramp - also up front. I wear my life jacket and trap suit, but sometimes when the parking area where I launch gets full, I'll sail solo to another part of Mission Bay where parking is less of a problem and pick up my crew - family or friends. I'll store their trap suit under the tramp straps up front and secure their life jacket around the bottom of the mast. I don't like storing items in the center or rear of my boat since that's where I spend most of my time when sailing, tacking or jibing. I have port holes for storing soda and snacks.
I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I needed a replacement trampoline and ordered one with a row of grommets over the inside lip of the hull. My idea is to rig a net to carry camping equipment between the hull & trampoline. I hope to try the idea within a couple weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When u have a chance, can you post a photo of your port holes?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pmorra - I'll try posting a photo of the port holes in the next few days, but in the meantime.... My H 16 was built in 1979. Years ago I had soft spots in front of the forward pylons. Our Hobie dealer suggested that I install port holes there instead of trying to repair those soft spots. I did and that worked well for several years. A few years later I had a soft spot in front of the port hole on the port side. I repaired that and haven't had any problems with soft spots since. I'm retired now bit I worked in the O.R. for many years. I drilled a very small hole with a dremel drill through the INSIDE of the plastic screw-on-cap. I ran some suture through it and tied it off. With the remainder of that long suture I sewed it into the bottom of the bag. I did that so that when I remove the cap while on the water it would still be attached to the bag and lessen the chance that I might lose that cap. I've read several posts on these forums which said that you shouldn't install port holes on a H 16 in front of the forward pylons. it might weaken the structure??? I've had no problems with my boat with those hard plastic caps and we sail in the ocean a lot and have trailered it long distances to many of the lakes in CA, Arizona and San Felipe, Mexico. We seldom use those port holes with the fat bags, but they're very nice to have for those times when you need them. Incidentally, in that Murrays Marine bag I keep a few small emergency spare parts, including some long, but thin rope.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pmorra - above is the picture I promised you of the port holes in front of the forward pylons. I also included the cap and bag with the suture connecting both so that I don't lose the cap when I unscrew it while on the water.
Richard