Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would like to convert my 2001 18SX into a standard 18.
The reason is that I want to begin racing and there are no other 18SX boats in this area (Northeast, Hobie Division 11), but there are a number of standard 18 boats being raced.

I know the SX mast is 1.5 feet taller and the sails (main and jib) are taller as well. So, I am trying to decide if I should purchase a used 18 mast and 18 sails (main and jib) or can I modify my SX mast.
I was wondering if anyone has ever removed a comp-tip, cut the mast shorter and re-attached the comp tip to make it the correct length for a standard 18 mast.

My other though was to find somone interested in trading their standard 18 mast and sails for my 18SX mast and sails. They are in great condition.

Please give me your thoughts and suggestions on this subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't answer your question about shortening an SX mast, but it seems to me buying an extra 18 mast and sails is a wiser decision. I prefer to keep my stuff as intact as possible, and if you swap or sell the SX mast you may have some explaining to do if you sell the boat, which makes it less desirable.

If you do get an extra mast don't forget to buy new standing rigging since the SX lengths are longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cutting the SX mast isn't an option. The diamond wires are longer and you will end up too close. The factory installed comptips are hard to remove. Don't convert the SX sail as it will not be legal for either set up. I have a mast and sails in S.C. Where are you located? I also know of other masts in N.C. Look for a junk 18 with a good mast. I have a boat with trash hulls, it is a fresh water boat that spent most of its life on a trailer with the nose down. The hulls are delaminating all over. Has a good trailer, nice Cat Fever sails, old style rudders, good aluminum and solid mast I'll sell for 1,000 if interested. Its a complete boat. I tried to repair the hulls but they continued to delam. Shame as the paint wasn't even worn on the keels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have an older 18 that I have been looking to add the SX mast to. The sails are old ('82) but in good shape for being over 20 years old. I don't know if I would want to race with them. My standing rigging is new as of this season. The mast needs to be resealed as I heard some water in it the last time I set up the boat.

If you want to discuss trading the masts I am open to it.

Contact me offline at hobienick at gmail dot com

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the suggestions.
I think I will try to purchase a used mast and sails that are in good condition.

ncmbm. I am interested in talking to you about your "trashed boat" with good mast and sails. I live near Philadelphia. Please contat me at [email protected]. Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ncmbm wrote:
I have a boat with trash hulls, it is a fresh water boat that spent most of its life on a trailer with the nose down. The hulls are delaminating all over

What is the issue with the nose down and the delamination. Is there a connection with small amounts of water in the huls and delamination? I ask this because my H18 is new to me this past summer and this being my first winter to store it I would not want to screw up. Am I suppose to store the boat nose up with the drain plugs opens (through the 5 months of below freezing weather it will face??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is not a bad idea to do that so any condensation that will occur due to the dropping temps will run out the drain plugs. Otherwise all of the water will just sit in the bows.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any water that stands in the hulls is likely to leech into the foam. As it heats, freezes, etc. it will start to seperate the outer skin from the foam, ie delamination. Once this begins its almost impossible to stop. The decks usually start first and then the hulls. On this boat the decks were solid and the hulls behind the front crossbar were solid but the nose was completely delaminated. Keep the boat nose up, drain plugs out and completely covered if possible. I store mine with the nose high enough that any moisture will run out the back. Keep it dry!!!!