Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Slaughter,
Minn Kota has a lifetime warranty on composite shaft and limited 2-year warranty on entire product. The shafts are easy to cut down to any length, but just remember to caulk the top so water don't drain down into the motor if you wear a wave :o
Make sure you get one with the "Digital Maximizer" that conserves your battery at the slow speed.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The motor design looks quite impressive. Not for me however. I'm happy with my 3 modes of transport but if I did more fishing, an electric motor like this would definitely be the way to go.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's what I think is cool about this forum, everyone has their boats modified to some extent (obviously mine is more than most lol) to suite their specific needs.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very tidy unit :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Anchoring system, without an anchor, is what excites me. You wouldn't have to drop your anchor to fight a big fish. Very nice!

ProYak, the bullet point that you deleted was completely relevant to your post (about kayaking*). You were giving your personal reasons for why you chose that motor over an outboard. And, it is a legitimate one because it influenced your decision (even if other forum members disagree).

People will always bring political, religious, and philosophical tidbits into their posts/conversations at any given time - it's part of what makes them, them. Asking them not to do it is silly. Basically what you are asking an individual to do is to post or comment leaving their personality and outlook on life at home. It won't happen, nor should it. Everyone has the opportunity not to read, not to comment, or not to discuss any issue on any board. Write what you want and make jabs if you want. I have been a follower of the posts here for some time and have seen people make underhanded quick jabs about presidents, other fisherman, conservation activists, and even their wives. Such is life...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Halbert wrote:
The Anchoring system, without an anchor, is what excites me. You wouldn't have to drop your anchor to fight a big fish. Very nice!

ProYak, the bullet point that you deleted was completely relevant to your post (about kayaking*). You were giving your personal reasons for why you chose that motor over an outboard. And, it is a legitimate one because it influenced your decision (even if other forum members disagree).

People will always bring political, religious, and philosophical tidbits into their posts/conversations at any given time - it's part of what makes them, them. Asking them not to do it is silly. Basically what you are asking an individual to do is to post or comment leaving their personality and outlook on life at home. It won't happen, nor should it. Everyone has the opportunity not to read, not to comment, or not to discuss any issue on any board. Write what you want and make jabs if you want. I have been a follower of the posts here for some time and have seen people make underhanded quick jabs about presidents, other fisherman, conservation activists, and even their wives. Such is life...

Thanks for your support Halbert - yes it's becoming increasingly difficult to hold a contrary opinion on ANYTHING in this Brave New World. A different perspective is often seen as a threat, and MUST BE SILENCED.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Proyak:
Everyone has their own opinions and specific needs that drive them. If you don't comment on where your coming from with your ideas it makes it harder for people to grasp where your coming from with your thoughts and reasoning behind your decisions. Personally I don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks about my ideas and what I do as long as I'm up front about it. I would never try to offend anyone.
Personally I think your setup is great and a very novel approach and noteworthy. I tried for a few years to come up with an affordable electric drive system and came up short, that's why I settled on a hybrid system that serves my needs. It's the best I could do for now, perhaps in 5-10 yrs if battery technology evolves enough I can finally switch over.
In the mean time hopefully the world can afford for me to use between $.50 cents and a buck in gas or natural gas per week to pursue my hobby.

Bottom line is you In my opinion came up with a a really cool setup that is worth sharing, understanding where your coming from with your thoughts (thinking outside the box) makes it that much more valuable to the rest of us.
Personally I really enjoy reading about the creative ways people are using their Hobies, and don't mind reading about why as long as it's all in the spirit of sharing ideas about using our Hobies for different things. We all learn from them
My 2 cents
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

proyak wrote:
Halbert wrote:

Thanks for your support Halbert - yes it's becoming increasingly difficult to hold a contrary opinion on ANYTHING in this Brave New World. A different perspective is often seen as a threat, and MUST BE SILENCED.

You are certainly welcome to have a contrary opinion on something but when you are an arrogant elitist Prick about it....well....that just makes you unlikeable...not that you really care. In fact, your smartass response to my asking why you chose that option over a small outboard makes YOU intolerant of contrary opinions. I always find it amusing when liberals scream intolerance unless you agree totally with their way of thinking.

By the way, I bet Bob's setup uses a smaller "carbon footprint" with his two motors than it does for you to charge those two batteries of yours. God forbid we produce any more Carbon Dioxide than necessary...oh wait...isn't Carbon Dioxide plant food? Shouldn't you tree huggers be delighted that we are feeding the planets forests?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Everyone,
Just take a breath !
O.K., now exhale.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Salty Dawg wrote:
Everyone,
Just take a breath !
O.K., now exhale.

Exactly! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jeffreydc:
Jeeze don't mention my name I just got unfriended on facebook by tree huggers international, Green Peace, and the sierra club all within an hour.

I was just beginning to get my reputation back in the neighborhood from 3 yrs ago when I cut down the neighbors big Bougainvillea tree which was growing into our yard and all over my porch, and prevented me from using the porches and from parking my car in front of my own house (with the TI on the roof). I only cut the part that was over my yard, but boy did I hear about it. They still call me 'that Bougainvillea guy', I'm not kidding, all true (well the last part anyway).
Bob