Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a place close to the Mississippi river near Lansing, Iowa.

As a new Bravo owner, I was wondering if it was possible to sail on the Mississippi? If so, what things should a new sailor consider?

Any advice or experiences from any of you who have sailed that area would be appreciated!

Dave

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I was a kid my parents had a big cabin cruiser they kept in Clinton (south of debuque), we spent most summers on the river an spent most of our time south of debuque (not sure about the spelling). I had a sunfish and would sail it mostly in the backwaters and lakes just off the channel, very seldom did I go in the channel, too much current and logs in the water (especially in the spring).
Where you are south of lacrosse is in my opinion the most beautiful section of the river, the river is nice and wide so I think you will find plenty of nice areas to sail away from the barge channel. Just watch for stumps and koffer dams (I think that's what they are called) in the backwaters.
Hope this helps.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Bob!

As a new sailor there are many things to get my head around. For instance, there is a current thats going south, but wind from the south...seems on the face of it, it's possible.

I never paid much attention to it, but now that I think about it, I can't remember ever seeing any kind of sailing vessel on the Mississippi in that area.

I think the possibility of being struck by a log going any speed will keep me off the river. :)

Dave

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng : My wife is from Clinton. It is my understanding that the widest point on the Mississippi is at Eagle Point just north of Clinton.
The Mississippi is a killer, so be careful on a Bravo. There is a lot of back water up your way (I fish there a lot) but some of it is pretty fast moving.
One of our guys from Minnesota sailed a group of 16s all the way down from MSP to near Lansing at Larcrosse WI and had no trouble, but that Jagger family are experts to say the least.

Interestingly, south of Clinton in Davenport IA, they race MC/C and E scows on the Mississippi right near downtown. I have heard of some guys tearing it up on an 18 down there between Davenport and Leclaire.
Just be careful and wear a friggin' lifejacket for sure.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

daveduck wrote:
I have a place close to the Mississippi river near Lansing, Iowa.

As a new Bravo owner, I was wondering if it was possible to sail on the Mississippi? If so, what things should a new sailor consider?

Any advice or experiences from any of you who have sailed that area would be appreciated!

Dave

I would NOT recommend sailing on the Mississippi if you are a "new" sailor. There are so many things that can go wrong extremely fast on a big river in a small boat.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Probably not the best place to get use to your boat and sailing. I have sailed on the Ohio river mostly in regattas or sailing club races. Current is a lot stronger than it appears can make getting from point a to point b challenging at times. I've seen hobie 16 flying a hull and sailing against the current go nowhere ( no forward progress) also barges can't stop or maneuver very well so must give them ample room

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll be sailing on the Mississippi this weekend in Lake City, MN on Lake Pepin!

8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

River sailing sounds very risky..... theres tons of things you can't see under the surface that can cause you hell, life and limb. If you capsize or worse turtle your boat, your mast might as well be snapped in half and your foot left over for catfish bait. If the river is going south at 10mph, the wind is blowing from the west at 10 mph and you're still intent at going home, you might as well book a BBQ tour here in memphis after you dry out your waterlogged legs, barely surviving and kissing your boat goodbye :lol:

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.