Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outback vs New Sport
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Road Runner, have read many of your posts, and other peoples too, all very helpful. Used it a lot to make a decision on which Hobie Mirage to buy - Outback or Rev 11. Tested both and I bought the Outback and hubby bought the Rev 11. I love the Outback but as a 5'3" and not too strong a person I am finding handling the Outback out of the water quite difficult. And now I have seen the new Sport. My question now is what is your opinion (and others are most welcome)... The comparison between the Outback and the new Sport.
Outback Pros - comfort and width (I'm not a skinny person). layout of the sides. stability -getting in and out and while fishing, boats passing me by.
Outback Cons - too heavy. front hatch too far away. And storage.

Appreciate any feedback from anyone who has used both of these Hobies. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Outback vs New Sport
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Revo11 and Outback owner here, I also previously had a 2012 Sport.
The Sport is as stable as the Outback and has a similar layout but with a shortened length it therefore loses the two forward rod holders as well as foot-well and bow-hatch space. The Sport is also more stable (to me) than the Revo11.

I'm 5'8" and 210lbs and felt like the Sport was a bit too small for some of the 3mile offshore trips I take, but that's probably because of fishing gear and limited storage capacity. If you're not fishing, or not going very far offshore, and are under the weight capacity with your gear, I'd say you might like the Sport. It is the easiest to handle out of the water because of its low weight, two rigid symmetrical carrying handles, and easiest to store because of its size (used to keep mine in a 5x10 public storage unit).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jcanracer, thanks for your reply. Glad to hear sport is just as stable as outback. I only do estuary fishing. I don't take too much fishing gear either, just the basics, which of course includes a small esky. :P and I do use the anchor. And have found myself always using the rear rod holders in the outback, so a good point, I won't miss them in the sport. The new 2014 sport looks good, with a sleeker front and bigger hatch. I don't use the one in the outback as I find it too hard to reach while on the water.

Post subject: Re: Outback vs New Sport
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Glad to help!
I also don't use the front hatch in my outback much when I am on the water, but that's because I put my catch bag on top of the hatch and lash it into place. I still put spare gear in there and stuff I -might- need. I hope Hobie makes a bow hatch insert for the new Sport, last time I checked they didnt have one.

For the rod holder situation, if you find you miss the front ones, just install aftermarket scotty mounts which will give you better freedom than the molded-in rod holders. I am beginning to appreciate the forward rod holders for trolling more than the rear ones because you can react faster when you SEE the strike instead of waiting for the fish to take drag when the rod is in the rear rod holder.