Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lake Havasu trip
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, that looks like a great place to spend time! That outdoor area lookss like the scene of many tall tales, well lubricated into the nght :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Im hoping we get to use "Vader" next weekend (June 28). We are hoping to get some Hobie AI's and TI's up to that lake and have a campout Saturday night. Vader is in my "backyard" about a mile from the launch and there are five good tent sites near the fire spot. I am making this available for a campout.. great place for a small group. There are a few folks confirmed for the campout - but a few more sites available for anyone reading this who might be interested in coming up to Elevenmile (the lake in that last list). A couple folks are sailing both Sat and Sunday, camping Sat night. My email is at the bottom of the link previously posted if you want more details.. Should be fun!!!! FYI, this is not the front range club event, just some sailing and camping for a couple days.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yesterday I tried something new.. I put the Hobie AI in at a marina very close to where I 40 crosses the Colorado river. The launch is in Arizona and is below Lake Mohave but before Lake Havasu and the marina has access to the Colorado river. I was a little worried about the river current (which probably was fairly strong in places where the river got narrow) but on this day, the winds were 10 to 20 mph and in the opposite direction of the river flow. Topock Gorge is down river from where I put in which could have been an issue getting back to where I started if the wind had shut down but the forecast looked good.. so I went maybe three or four miles down river into the gorge which was upwind but down stream the whole way. Heading back to where I started was all down wind - back up the river - also no problem except for once when the wind got light... but it picked back up.

If the wind had been the same direction of the current.. I probably still could have made it back but a little slower? Or I may have just gone the other direction – up river and up wind to start and then a fast run back to the marina. This is the start of the trip I posted earlier in this thread - from Topock to Lake Havasu and this would be a really fine thing to do with the wind and the current in the same direction.

The first picture is near the marina at I40 where it crosses the Colorado river. I "think" I could have taken that path you can see but didn’t.

The next pictures are down in the Topock Gorge area. I like to pedal.. and I pedaled the whole time which helped handle the current and sometimes fairly high gusts. Wonderful sail plus great exercise!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I didnt see this video posted on the Hobie forum so Ill post it in this thread.

One week ago, a buddy and I did the one way route from where I40 crosses the Colorado river to the marina at Lake Havasu. We were looking for a day with N or NW winds so that the wind and the current were in the same direction. On the day of this trip, the winds were in the right direction but stayed on the light side.

This was the most fun trip Ive done on my AI. The sailing was great fun, the scenery incredible and good company. I had an AI, my buddy Sean has a new TI. These were really optimal craft for a trip like this..

We both had Gopro camera's, Sean (sail havasu guy) put the video together and I think did a really great job.. This was a seriously fun thing to do!! It will go from seriously fun to seriously wild on windy day with both the wind and current in the same direction..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmDwMDv ... e=youtu.be

The route is about 20 miles but we were like dogs on a hike.. probably doing a lot more distance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I spent last week in Lake Havasu

First did this (I should have tightened the main halyard.. ugh..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlRTYOO-wc8

Several days later, I did this.. which was just a little over 8 miles of pedaling but a really great thing to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljnASXOfTDw