Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lift/Hoist for Hobie 16
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Hobie 16 that I cannot leave in front of our house, as there is no beach but instead a 6 foot high seawall with riprap. I would like to leave the Hobie 16 on a lift/hoist in order to keep it rigged and avoid having to trailer it. It appears that I'll need to modify a PWC lift, of build a lift from scratch in order to keep it above the waves of a sometimes rather "rough" Oneida Lake in central NY. I've heard of lifts that have been built out of PVC that the Hobie is winched up and onto, but have not seen any. Does anyone have any ideas or photos on this topic? Thanks! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My friend uses a jet ski lift It has the big wheel that you turn to lift the boat only change was to make the lift arms long enough to reach the other hull They have been proven in over 5 years of use
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thank you. that was my original plan but hoped to be able to build something out of pvc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had the same issue, and had built a floating dock for mine. It worked ok, but you CANNOT raise and lower the mast on an unstable floating dock. (OK, I managed to do it once, but it was REALLY unsafe.) So, I left the mast up for the summer with bungee cords across the shrowds above the trap handles, then another from the center of that bungee to the center lacing on the tramp. This keeps decent tension on the rig so that it all moves together without shock from the mast banging around.

After a season of it, I am done with it and looking for a solution that sits on the bottom, much more stable. This will make it much easier to rig the sails, etc, also.

Either way, be sure to tie the Cat down, as in a wind it will blow away. I tied it to the floating dock and that seemed to work fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The 81 h16 I picked up last year came with a lift instead of a trailer. It is made out of metal pipe with PVC on the cross bars and uprights. The PVC rolls and that helps getting the boat on the lift. Would not recommend PVC alone. I'll post a pic if I can figure out how.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How does everyone feel about the point loads on the hulls if you store it on a PVC pipe or roller? Does it cause any long term issues? I suppose that due to the curvature of the hulls, even bunks won't fully support it, without having them articulate.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

not much difference than the rubber rollers on a trailer.