Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
That sure is one serious roof rack you have there Alan. Would you mind throwing a tape measure over it and giving me a centre distance from the front support to the rear support.

I will measure tonight when I get home and put it here 49.5" (from memory it is about 6" under the Hobie spec but as wide as they will go on my truck).

Quote:
I need to upgrade my roof setup for trips where ferries are involved. Ferries down this way charge a fortune for trailers.

Totally agree .. and one of the reasons I roof-topped on this trip. The ferry was $57 (each way) and would have been over $130 if I had used my trailer. Technically they could have charged me more as the bumper to bumper length just made the max. but the front/rear overhang of the Yaks put me over .. but they didn't. They were too busy asking what the heck was on the roof ?!?!? Tolls are also a killer around here, so I use the trailer for the local weekly stuff and the Roofrack / Hullivators for trips.

Quote:
I'm trying to get my head around how it's all connected to the car. What's the red bit ? ( that wasn't in my vision! )
[/quote][/quote]

Above are the "feet" I welded up out of square steel stock and flat bar stock - no one makes anything for my specific vehicle except the factory roof rack which is only rated for ~125#.

The diamonds on the bottom "cam" into a U channel that is on the roof - when torqued down the tips of the diamonds slide under the lips - I used the stock diamonds from the factory rack and stored the rest of it. I then purchased 2x 78" Thule bars and bolted them to the tops of the feet I made (after having the feet powder coated.

The red you are seeing is simply some pool noodle bits wrapped around the ratchet mechanism of the straps (to prevent them from banging while underway), that in turn are holding the Ama's inside the Hullivators on the roofrack. I was rushed and didn't have time to create a proper mount for the Ama's .. it was a major pain strapping them on once the AI's were nested down, and the fit was too tight to first put the Ama's up and then load the AI's. After the second load/unload I resorted to shoving them inside the truck with them just making it in and resting on the dash inbetween Wife.Com and myself.

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

Last edited by PassWind on Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the feedback Alan. I've got a Mazda Tribute ( I think it's a Mercury over there ) which is a bit smaller than your GMC, and I always put them inside. They just fit, virtually window to window with a couple of inches to spare. The wife then has to sit in the back but most trips are solo anyway. As you can see from the photos in the link below, the roof rack centres are under spec. but apart from this trip to Tasmania, I've never had a problem. With this trip, viewtopic.php?f=70&t=46696&hilit=tasmania, for some reason that I've yet to work out, the gear on the roof just wouldn't find a position and stay there.It made me pretty nervous ( and p'd off ) at times. Straps were loosening, the hull was moving and skewing sideways. It was all fastened exactly how I've always done it but this time it just didn't want to go on the trip. on the return trip I even turned the whole thing upside down which made it behave but then it knew we were going home :roll: ( these AI's have got a mind of their own. )

So I've got to come up with something a bit better and will certainly have a look at the THULE now to see if I can make it work.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
...The wife then has to sit in the back

Well, I didn't make her sit in the back but this was her view of me for about 900 miles of the 1,500 mile trip :P

.. at one point when things got a touch pissy between us, I reached back and took my old-man Lumbar pillow from behind my back and wedged it in the crack blocking her view of me - 10 seconds later we both had a good laugh, tension relieved and she snapped this shot

Quote:
the roof rack centres are under spec. but apart from this trip to Tasmania, I've never had a problem.

As edited in my above post, center to center measurment of the bars is 49.5"

We didn't sail the first 4 days of the trip we did cover about 600 miles .. temps were only in the 50's but the AI's stayed Hullivated and there was no issues. Including this trip, I've probably gone well over 3,000 miles with at least one AI up there - never an issue at speed. I'm always checking and tightening the straps/ropes just about everytime I get back in the truck .. old habit from dragging my cars around on trailers.

Here's a shot I took this morning whilst measuring the span of the rack - hope it gives you a better idea of how I solved the problem of no Thule/Yakima rack system for my truck - there were only a total of about 8,000 GMC Envoy XUV's made in the two years it was offered. Its rack mounting design is totally different then any of the other hundreds of thousands Trailblazer/Envoy etc. variants so I had to get creative with much thanks to my friend with a welder.

The only Thule bits are the cross rails and the mounts for the hullivators, which I love, but are pricey - I had an inside deal from a Thule worker when I got them @ 60% off list. If not for that I probably wouldn't have got them

Sorry for the hijack - things were kinda slow here anyways so at least its kept it up top

Hope this helps .. always glad to try

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sorta forgot we were hijacking a thread Al. The thread author is a bad tempered mongrel as well. :x

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, you did!

So who's the winner, eh, eh? :-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spose we had better do some voting hey !

I'll go first:

1. Spook - Green
2. Tom - Natural Selection
3. Mingle - Sunburst

.....with an honouree mention to PassWind for 'How Clean is my Bonnet'.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Spose we had better do some voting hey !

I'll go first:

1. Spook - Green
2. Tom - Natural Selection
3. Mingle - Sunburst

.....with an honouree mention to PassWind for 'How Clean is my Bonnet'.

Due to the overwhelming outpouring of votes and the difficulties in tallying such a huge response - I motion that the GrandPoohBaah's above vote be adopted into record as the final outcome for 2013 ..

.. and that we make things a bit more exciting for 2014

I think we need some real pirate booty to spice things up a bit, if not donated store goods then backyard workshop goodies like Double Bungie Dongles or Haka Seat covers .. :?:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know about upping the prizes. I still haven't quite gotten over not winning that coveted rudder pin the first year, even though even I voted for a better pic. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

what ? did someone say sprayproof Hula skirts ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agree that a couple of prizes would probably give the thread a lift.

I would have thought that some dealer would be keen as mustard to grab some almost free advertising.

( A prize....hmmm.....I've got an old 'Twist and Stow' rudder somewhere in the shed )

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

woohoo, I ended up winning, thank god I was wondering how to beat that one......

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep Spook, thank god I voted hey.

And your prize for taking that impressive shot, is that you get to be the CEO of the 2014 Photo Comp. Congratulations, we'll all look forward to your new revamped thread.

Now that's a prize everyone will be gunning for this year. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Yep Spook, thank god I voted hey.

And your prize for taking that impressive shot, is that you get to be the CEO of the 2014 Photo Comp. Congratulations, we'll all look forward to your new revamped thread.
Well then, thank God I didn't submit! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

meh .. seen one pic of a TI3 with UberKewl HakaHaka's sailing in the heavy stuff you've seen them all :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Black Sails... :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next