Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks all for great information here.

I am planning on buying 2 new PA 12s this year, taking delivery in October. The dealer is 500 miles away and I have to design a roof rack/hoist system for my truck that will be pulling a fifth wheel RV. Since the roof of the truck will expose the boats to significant sunlight and heat, I wanted to do it the right way without regard to cost. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I plan to use 2 PA 12/14 cradle sets (72020401). I have already purchased one to help with the design.

There are only two dimensions that I do not have at this point. These dimensions affect the design in a way that cannot be changed later. I contacted Hobie, but they could not help and suggested I ask here.

1. The Hobie cradle sets are centered at 67", but I need the distance from the CENTER of the rear cradle to the rear END of the boat. One might think the boat is centered on the cradles, but my observation is that the boat weight is skewed to the rear and the cradle designer may have intended for less of the boat to overhang on the rear.

2. I know everyone has rigged their boat differently and this may vary slightly, but I needed another dimension. That is the approximate lengthways center of gravity or balance point of the PA 12 when it has the seat and other easily removable items removed. For example, if you placed a piece of pvc pipe under the boat and attempted to balance it, what would be the distance from the PIPE CENTER to the rear END of the boat.

After I have this built, I will share the design and pictures with you all.

thanks very much for any help,
fred

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll answer to bump this to the top again. But am no help.
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Did you get your dimensions. If not i can get it for you on the# 2 dimension. I don't know about the cradle dimension. I think that is variable depending on how you load the kayak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is the best information you will need to know. Read over it and see if it has your answers. Good Luck

<http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-12/>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks everyone,

I don't have either measurement yet. They are really odd things to need and the Hobie site nor the Hobie staff had them. The rack must be built before I see the PA 12s. In a fifth wheel RV situation, the rack must be over the truck cab and hood and the boat cannot go into the bed area or it will be hit by the trailer when turning. This is why the rear overhand measurement, (#1 above) is needed so I can position my two 67" spaced bars in the right spot.

The #2 measurement is to determine the length of the hoist arm which would be connected to a sling around the boat. During lifting, the boats would not have the seat, H bar, or in my case, also no live well or anchor. I'm not sure anyone one of you would have a boat that bare. The boat appears like it would have a center of gravity to the rear of the 6 foot midpoint.

thank you all very much, I apologize for being so needy here in the beginning, I promise to become a contributing member as time goes by...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

With the PA-12 empty w/o seat the pivot point is 70" from the end of the rear grab handle to the pivot point. It's 75" to the front grab rail.
With the seat in it really does not make a difference.

I would imagine that if you put the center of the cradle set which looks to be 33 1/2" at the pivot point of the PA you could determine your measurement for #1

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

svendawg,

thanks very much,

I would not have a permanently attached battery of any kind, was that your situation as well?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes. I had the PA stripped down to the bare bones. The only thing I had on it was the Vantage seat