Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Hobie Trailer Setup
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I offer to the group some details on my trailer setup. I have a Hobie (Trailex) Double Double with tower and storage box. Currently I haul two Outfitters but hope to replace one with a Tandem Island soon. I secure the Outfitters upside down on the trailer crossbars.

The kayaks sit on cut sections of a horsepen mat I no longer needed. Primary securement is via normal kayak straps over the hulls. But note the straps go around the crossbars, not just the strap mount itself.

To prevent movement aft I use a pair of the Hobie multi straps attached to hooks I picked up at Northern Tool.

To prevent forward movement and provide security I use a locking cable attached under the main trailer spine.

It could be argued the hull straps are sufficient but with the other devices I do not need to make the hull straps very tight so no risk of deforming the hulls.

When I bought the trailer and the tower, there were plenty of extra lock bolts, nuts, and washers to attach everything else including the tower box.

The box is a SportRack SR7018 and easily swalows 5 life jackets, 4 Mirage drives, 4 paddles (diassembled), and everything else we take except the sail kits.

I have enjoyed several trips and covered several thousand miles with this setup without issue.

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I really like the vertical storage. I've seen your trailer online before (maybe Facebook) and I'm racking my brain on how to adapt the vertical setup to work on my Yakima Rack and Roll.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Adding another photo with Oasis and Outfitter.

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since the orignal post I have made the following changes:

1. Mounted PVC bunks so the Oasis can be trailered upright. I know Hobie advises against this but it is so much easier to launch and retrieve now. I can also leave the Oasis rigged with seats, batteries, fish finder, Evolve, etc. Saves a lot of time.

2. Since the kids are in college and don’t come along much anymore, I mounted bike carriers opposite the Oasis and replacing the Outfitter. I used two Thule roof-rack bicycle carriers from a previous vehilce. Had to extend each with 2.5 feet of 2 inch by 3/8 inch aluminum bar. Bike carriers are mounted one facing forward and one facing backward so handlebars clear each other and clear the cargo box. The bike side of the trailer can be returned to kayak duty just by removing 6 nuts and lifting the bike racks off, with the aluminum extensions remaining attached to the racks.

3. I added a spare tire and mount.

Peter