Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Daggerboard management
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Question for the masses;

This weekend we ran Island Hop Regatta in Ocean Springs, Ms. What a blast! everybody should be there next year. The OSYC deserves a big hand for putting on a terrific event thanks to all of them.

My question concerns the dagger boards and the ability to point the boat higher in light winds, all weekend we seemed to be falling off on speed anytime I tried to point up and at times i'd have to turn away pretty drastically to get the speed back up. I know the H20 doesn't like to be pinched but honestly my H16 will point higher for much longer periods than my 20. One habit we've had since we started sailing the 20 was to keep the daggerboard on the weather side pulled up till it's faired with the hull, the thought was by having the board up we had less drag and should get a little more speed, I'll also admit we're not consistent with dropping the leeward board all the way down.

What's the general consensus on managing the daggerboards especially in light winds and will they help the boat point higher?

And Yes we do pull the boards up when running downwind.

Thanks all!

tm

1999 Hobie 20, Sail #1005
2001 Hobie 16, "Spirit of 76 sails" #18515. Sold
1981 Hobie 18, Dead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Both boards all the way down all the time going upwind on the H20. Maybe pull them up a little if the breeze gets over 20 to settle the boat a little. I don't ever recall seeing anyone tacking the boards upwind when we were racing the 20.

If you're being out-pointed by Hobie 16s, then you are doing something very wrong. A H20 should blow away a H16 on all points of sail in any breeze over about 3mph (when the wind approaches "drifter" wind speed, it turns into a crap shoot).

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

We were just in Monterey this weekend with 9 H20s and 22 or so H16s.

I was on a 20 and we were pointing better than the new era H16s but not by a huge margin. Mast rake, combined crew weight, and body position on the boat are critical on the 20. I made three adjustments over the 3 day race and by Sunday we were as good or better than most. The biggest difference was that we got our weight more forward on the boat. Me as skipper, I had one foot ahead of the shroud and my crew was ahead of the shroud when both trapped out. We are 335 lbs combined and our rake (If you know how to measure) was about 3" below the deck at the back transom. KEEP THE BOAT FLAT!!!!!! Use the downhaul in puffs instead of turning up or sheeting out. The 20 sail wants to be flat for performance but in light wind you need some shape so don't over sheet.

The condition of your Jib is a huge factor also. Leave the daggers out of the equation.

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Man, you guys did great! Your H16 looks awesome as well.
Tommy, can you shoot me a link to get the parts to setup your H20 traveler like the 16's ect? Murray's, other hobie dealer ect? The stock system sux!
BTW..... both daggers all the way down at all times upwind!! Hell, Daggers half down, down wind help too!! ( at least on my H20 with 450lbs of people and beer onboard ) LOL......

Those red EPO's, where'd ya find those? I've noticed the stock rudders are bigger?

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Fxloop wrote:
can you shoot me a link to get the parts to setup your H20 traveler like the 16's ect? Murray's, other hobie dealer ect?

It's the bracket that is used on the Getaway Part # 50-37760041. Steve Murray and I just converted our 20 travelers in the last year. You will have to bend the bracket slightly but it works perfectly.

http://www.murrays.com/50-37760041.html

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Tim, we missed you on Sunday! The Red EPO's were picked up at SunJammers in Panama City, Brad hooked us up with a great deal I couldn't pass up. They are a bit smaller than the original rudders but they seem to react better and the old ones were in pretty bad shape.

Hope to see you guys soon out on the water somewhere, let us know if you head down to the Florida panhandle.

Cheers!

Tom

1999 Hobie 20, Sail #1005
2001 Hobie 16, "Spirit of 76 sails" #18515. Sold
1981 Hobie 18, Dead!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the tip on the traveler part, I will order one and it will be my next project to install. I should have my rebuilt crossbar and new dolphinstriker installed tomorrow. Ryan