Post subject: gps?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

New kayak owner what is a good GPS for kayaking
thanks

Post subject: Re: gps?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You have two main options: A handheld GPS, or a fish finder with GPS. If you fish from your kayak, a fish finder-GPS combination is a great way to go. If you don't fish, and just want the GPS for navigation, information about distance and speed, and maps, a handheld GPS would be the way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have gone through a half dozen or so gps's, we are mostly in salt water ant it is really hard on everything. All the more expensive gps's I have had fail after about 6 months. I think it has to do with the number of function buttons. I ended buying the cheapest garmin I could find a couple yrs at and it's still going strong. The maps are lousy, it's really hard to program so I never bother trying to program it. I just use the compass function, and the speed, average speeds and distance traveled functions and that's about it.
If I need ocean charts, course plotting and way points I just use the isailer app on my iphone which has a life proof waterproof case. Way more functional and easy to use, plus I cal listen to music with my Bluetooth waterproof speaker, talk on the phone and whatever else I need to do all with one device. My I phone also completely controls my gopro. I have a wrist band for my phone so it's always handy.
The way I figure things I already have th iphone, the life proof case was abut $70 bucks, the isailer or natron ice apps are only about ten bucks and the have all the charts (which you really need to use offshore and on the inter coastal. I carry one of those iphone backup battery things in a dry box if I run the phone battery down (haven't needed it yet).
So bottom line I hang the cheap garmin around my neck and use it for speed and headings only, I keep an extra set of aa batteries for the gps but only need to replace them every 3 months or so. If I need more I fire up the apps on my iphone.
Of course I have insurance on my iphone as well so if it stops working I just go get a new one.
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A favorite are the Lowrance Elite 4 models. Certain Hobie models are designed for easy installation of the Lowrance and some Humminbird transponders, including the PA, Outback, and Revo.

There are know penetration points for water and these can be sealed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:51 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

This depends on how you want to use it. I use an older Garmin Forerunner 305, wrist mounted GPS. Time, speed, distance, heart rate monitor, compass etc., easy to read programmable screen with about 30+- functions. There are newer, more waterproof versions (ex: 310XT) if you like this style. I like easy portability and hands free reading. You can use it for other activities as well. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you want to plot waypoints and spots to find later the hand held GPS, a smartphone in a waterproof case, or a fish finder with GPS will work. Another option is a VHF radio with integrated GPS and DSC (which sends your exact position to rescuers with the push of a button). If you plan to have the VHF then getting one with GPS makes sense and if you go out in the ocean or Great Lakes then the DSC is a good idea.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Having gone through 3 combined GPS/FF units I will not be buying another... The problem is that none of the ones I have used have survived long in the marine environment and when they conk out you lose BOTH the GPS unit and the FF unit at the same time which is costly (even more so if the unit has a chart chip in it like mine had).

You would be far better off IMO to get a cheapie FF that you install in the boat plus a 'waterproof' hand-held GPS that you can keep in a see through drybag. That way, when the FF gives up the ghost, which it will in due course, you should not have to shell out for a new GPS as well.

The screens on some of the supposed kayaking GPS chartplotting products are tiny - far too small for my dim old eyes to find comfortable for viewing detail without specs. A handheld GPS chartplotter can be moved closer for viewing detail which has manifest advantages over a unit that is fixed at deck level on a kayak.

(NB my experience based on Eagle Cuda and Lowrance Elite products. I was looking at a humminbird unit a month or so ago and it appeared to have much better waterproofing albeit at a higher price than I was/am now prepared to pay)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stobbo....My Humminbird 768 is 3 years old and works perfect......my experience is Humminbirds reliability is superior to Lawrence.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a fish finder with its GPS that I use to set waypoints and easily navigate back to them later. I also have one of the newer VHF radios that has GPS, a digital compass, and the DSC function. With DSC you push a button on the VHF radio and it sends your exact location to the Coast Guard. The VHF radio also picks up the weather channels so I will use it at home to check the conditions around the buoys for swell height and period and wind speeds.

If you have a smartphone with a GPS chip there are waterproof cases and mounts for use with kayaks and other small craft.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pmmpete wrote:
You have two main options: A handheld GPS, or a fish finder with GPS. If you fish from your kayak, a fish finder-GPS combination is a great way to go. If you don't fish, and just want the GPS for navigation, information about distance and speed, and maps, a handheld GPS would be the way to go.

With our Oasis, no fishing, I use the Garmin Oregon 550 T. It is very accurate, and it has tide tables for basically every tidal water in the Ca N Bay area. The 550 T is probably the easiest to use hand held GPS's my sons and I have ever owned. I put a piece of electrical tape on the plug in sites on the unit to prevent salt water from seeping in. Also, I use the little orange water wings in case it gets dropped overboard. The Oregon 550T is great and easy to use for all types of land situations, walks and treks. The batteries are rechargeable and have lasted a full day in a yak or on land with juice still left.

With the Freedom Hawk fishing yaks I use the Lowrance Elite 4 DSI. If and when I trade up to a single Mirage fishing yak, that will be the unit. The Maps are very accurate, and the underwater "pictures" are excellent. Fish are a little hard to find. I use it mainly to find structure to fish or holes where the fish lay and feed and hide.

I have a decade plus in age Lowrance M68 for our jon boat and a portable transducer for the Freedom Hawks. The GPS maps are a little old but still mostly reliable. It is deadly re finding Stripers. It has never been babied and is in great shape. We take it off when we get home and put it back on when we go fishing. It runs all day on one of the small 12 volt batteries or with the big 12 volt for our Minn Kota Saltwater Bow mount without cutting into use of the Minn Kota.