Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So I've been gifted a couple of nice trapeze harnesses and I'm wondering what you guys consider the most cheap and/or cost effective nonskid. I'm considering a gel coat job this winter (or definitely next winter), so I don't want anything expensive unless or can be removed and reused.

I have some rubber cement, and I'm thinking of calling dive shops looking for worn out wetsuits. Anyone had success with super cheap nonskid options?

Secondly, I'd like to install a footstrap aft of the rear crossbar. I'm thinking old 3/16 halyard with clear tubing over it... Could anyone suggest their successful mounting location? How wide of an opening did you go with? On "corner" of the hull lip, or more towards the side or top?

Thanks! I never see 18s around orange beach, so never see any examples to look at...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ok.. so for the rubber on the rail... the kit from hobie is only $60 (part # 16708) and well worth it as it comes with the contact cement and the neoprene already cut to fit around the shrouds etc on the hulls. Even if you have to redo it next year because of the gel coat work, by the time you cut whatever you get, you still have to glue it on, you'll probably save time and effort just getting the kit and redoing it if you need to.
as far as the foot strap goes.... I'd avoid it.. they are great at breaking ankles and are really only good as carrying straps. They are usually put right aft on the side of the hull and if you're trapping that far back... well, you shouldn't really need to.. also the rail kit includes a piece for the hull behind the rear beam.
that's my $0.02 worth.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with musicman on both accounts. I mean, cut up pieces of wetsuit, really? Get a kit or order some traction foam from a place like NSI. They will custom cut lengths and widths for a nominal fee and you can get self-adhesive backed foam in a variety of colors.

As far as the foot strap is concerned, a good alternative is a "sissy cord". Here is a link that shows the system I use on my boat.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35385

sm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also agree with musicman, the neoprene kit is well worth the money. It looks clean and sharp, and there is plenty of grip. If you're looking for something "ultra cheap," perhaps you could get some non-skid or anti-skid tape on the lip, but it'll probably still cost $20-30.

I have no experience with the foot staps, so I'll have to defer to these guys' judgment.

Are you planning on sanding and re-spraying your entire hull? Sounds like quite a project! To be honest, though, unless you have a problem with the gelcoat on your decks, I think you'd be better off trying to avoid re-spraying that area (especially the non-skid), and in that case you should be able to put on the neoprene kit and then just tape over it.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Other options is the grey non-skid from the hardware store... the hardest part is cleaning off the old crap. Peel and stick.

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)