Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have read quite a bit on the topic, and I know there are a bunch of you with mods to add other motors on the TI. I just want something simple that works well and it seems like the evolve does the trick.

I called my local dealer and they said it would cost 100 to install? What actually goes into an install? Also, I have a revolution 13 that I am thinking of selling, but if I can move the evolve from boat to boat, I may consider keeping it. Can that be done easily?

Also, anyone totally against the evolve and really think it is overpriced for what you get?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

An evolve on a TI would be a good addition, if you get a second battery you can probably get enough range to get you out of trouble.
On a TI with two mirage dives you can plug the unit into one and still pedal with the other.
I have also seen people using the 403 swing up mounts on TI's, which would likely be my setup if I got one and if it can be done.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can get the kit before the weekend, I am almost going to pull the trigger. 2100 is causing me to pause, any other reasons?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would think $2100 would be plenty reason enough for me to pass but thats just me. That much money would buy a lot of trolling motor and batteries if you are dead set against small outboards. A trolling motor would be a very easy set up as well but maybe not as fancy as the evolve.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The install they're talking about might be adding the thru hull electrical connectors which isn't necessary but some people like them. The alternative is to run the motor with the battery and wires topside.

I like having an evolve with the spare battery for expeditions or when I'm sailing a distance in remote areas by myself. After spending too many hours pedaling in the hot sun after wind dies or when the wind changes and you're fighting a strong headwind trying to get home, it's nice having a little insurance policy on board. But the evolve is fairly expensive and not for everyone. I do like the simplicity and how you can deploy it easy and stealthy. Stealthy because I do not want to be forced to license the TI because of a motor hanging off the stern.

I feel it's pretty well engineered. And if the other Hobie has a mirage drive, you can easily move it from boat to boat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The best feature of the evolve system is the weight, everything including the battery is only 15 lbs. once it is fitted to a hull (mount into the hull all the waterproof plugs and fittings. It can easily be transferred from one boat to another I assume (of course the other boat would need to be wired as well). Neat clean light weight and trouble free (from my understanding, I don't have first hand experience, but if I could afford one I would get one).
I have twin honda 2.3 engines on my TI, and they cost over $2000, but I go offshore and living in the keys I need a hundred mile range, plus if I have some distance to travel I want to average 10mph so I can get where I want to go faster whether there is any wind or not. Also we typically have terrible lightning storms and torrential rain every afternoon in the summer, so if I'm 5-10 miles from launch and need to get out of dodge (get to safety) quickly I can.
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What ever happened to sails? I'll admit to thinking wistfully on 1-2 occasions in the past year or 2 when I was out and the wind went to zero with 10-12 mi to pedal a fully loaded boat. But, as Fusioneng says, "it is great exercise," or something to that effect.

And, as Jim suggests, electric/gas motors of any kind on an AI/TI are not for everyone and definitely not for me. I guess that means I've saved a couple thousand bucks. Now what could I do with a couple thousand bucks--hummm...?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Go for it.
Works like a dream.
Be mindful of the fact that the battery can drain fairly quickly going up wind against a current.
What installation? Are they mounting the battery and wiring everything thru the hull?
If not - there is no installation.
I put my battery in a water tight plastic box on the stern deck and tie - wrapped the cable to the throttle up front.
I keep the drive plugged in an laying flat near the rear well.
Takes less than 1 minute to plug in.
I haven't wired thru the hull yet - been figuring out where the best place to mount the throttle.
Using a starport on the throttle to mount it.
If you want to geek out - read the tech section about the motor.
http://www.torqeedo.com/us/technology/motor-technology

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith:
It's a slippery slope that I went down to where I am now. Because of my bad back I prefer not to go out in rough conditions and winds over 10-12mph, which is good because we seldom see winds that high in the summer in sarasota (typical is 4-6). My commitment to pedal my boat at least 15 miles per week is still holding true even after 4 yrs (that's a good thing). We are at our key west house this month and all we want to do is go out snorkeling, spear fishing, and scuba diving. Unfortunately key west is the most unfriendly place in the world for launching boats and kayaks (they only have a couple crappy launch points which are miles from anything we want to see. As an example I launched my TI at the smathers beach ramp the other day, the concrete ended 15 ft from shore where there was a 10 inch drop off into knee deep muck and sharp rocks (concrete rubble with the rebar still in it), by far the most miserable excuse for a launch I have ever encountered. I had to walk the boat thru that muck at least a quarter mile before I could even put my mirage drives and rudder in (ish).
Everything becomes worth the effort once we get out to the 3rd biggest coral reef on the planet though where we see gazillions of fish and sea life in crystal clear water at a very comfortable 87 degrees. My wife and friends are excited and want to plan another trip down next month during lobster season (starts August 6). That's the kind of stuff we have our boat rigged for. The reefs are all 5-7 miles out, we were out snorkeling a couple times this week and the winds were only 5-7 mph, if it takes more than an hour to get out there then it's simply not worth the effort. That's our thing though, everyone has stuff that they like to do, this is ours, and I fulfilled my exercise program a couple times over this week. I used a half tank of gas per motor (1 liter total of fuel)so far this week (about a buck). I use all my sails and pedal 100 percent of the time, I just prefer to sail at 8-10 mph vs 3-4 mph, that's all, the main reason is anyplace we ever want to go is always a long ways off from where we can launch. Everybody has their thing, this is ours, if it gets windy and rough then the visibility goes down to zero (not worth diving) so it's a slippery slope.
Of course I can always go buy another sea ray ($60k, we sold ours a while ago) and pay $400/month for dry storage then fill the tank ($200-$300 bucks in fuel) and enjoy the same stuff, or pay $100 per person for dive charters ( typically between $600 and $800 bucks a day), or I can spend a buck and use what I have that costs nothing at all to store in my garage, with maybe $50 to $100 dollars in ongoing annual costs (rudder pins and gas lol) and have the time of our lives.
That's our thing (everyone has something they like to do with this SUV of boats, this is ours)
Bob
Edit: the only other launch in key west is at simonton street, where 50 feet off shore the current is 6 mph north to south, which drives you immediately south of the island (next stop Cuba), the only way back is to round wisteria island and approach from the north, from the navy base (3 miles out of your way). Even a stock TI with full sails in decent winds can't make it (I know we have tried many times). All I'm saying is this place is a dangerous place to kayak without knowing the area well.

Last edited by fusioneng on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I ordered it, its expensive but sounds like it would be worth it for me. I have a similar story to bob's, I have to pedal 3 miles to get where I want to be and during the summer there is hardly any wind. I can pedal and use electric power to get me where I want to be now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Boys and their toys--it never ends. Slippery slope, indeed!! (I've been down a few slippery slopes myself.)

Good luck with that new motor!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Goofing off and came across this. Don't think that it would move an Adventure (or any kayak) in the ocean, but gave me a good chuckle. I may purchase one for the fun of it.

http://www.ideaz.me/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So to install the kit, I can place the battery in the front hatch or either of the two 8" circular hatches correct? Does the kit come with everything needed to go through the hull with the wires?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Comes with pretty much everything you need except tools & Goop.
I do not care for the ball mount on the throttle and switched to starport.
I am not sure if I would rest the battery on the inside bottom of the (damp/wet) hull without providing some moisture protection and securing it from moving around.
I was thinking of putting in a small bungee sling inside the hull and using a plastic box or waterproof bag for the battery.
You need easy access to take it out for charging or swapping out a spare.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:37 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I am not sure if I would rest the battery on the inside bottom of the (damp/wet) hull without providing some moisture protection and securing it from moving around.

The battery / control unit is 100% water tight. You can toss it in the water (if caps are on or cables connected), so in the hull no problem.

I would lash to the accessory receiver post.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)