Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

or, for that matter, cat sailing footage, will ever come across. For those who haven't seen the movie, it starts out at the '78 or '79 Hobie 18 Nationals where dozens of skippers are jockeying for position at the start. I especially enjoyed looking at the old equipment and boat setups e.g., diamond wires at 2:22. The film then transitions to some beautiful inland lake sailing and then on to the south pacific and Hawaii where world champion Dean Froom (sp) and friends show what the fabled H18 is truly capable of, even without all of the modern day bells and whistles (gadget heads take note). Truly worth a look....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_rfKUE675Y

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cool Video... Thanks for posting it here!

I shared on my personal and Hobie Fleet 297's facebook page...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I must now fight this urge to take a soft H16 and try some "sand sailing" Thanks a lot!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I never knew , Daggerboarding, is an actual sport.

Sand sailing looks fun too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So amazing. That's how I felt out there this weekend in 5 hours of sustained 16-20kt wind. We even had the same sails. Shame I fogot my gopro!

/no one will believe us

H18 Magnum
Contour 30MKII Trimaran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

These guys were extreme, long long before it became fashionable that everything has to be extreme these days. Everything from your gum and your soft drinks.

Dean Froome, wow man, I tip my hat to you sir.

My question, perhaps a fellow sailor can explain. Why is Dean running the Daggerboards only part way in, almost all the time. Is it less drag, more speed?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Myoffroadhobie wrote:
My question, perhaps a fellow sailor can explain. Why is Dean running the Daggerboards only part way in, almost all the time. Is it less drag, more speed?

Dean Froome is/was a legendary Hobie Sailor - Hobie 16 world champion, Worrell 1000 competitor (back when it was a non-stop race), extreme Hobie 18 sailor/surfer/waterman - definitely a Hobie Hero in my book.

Regarding the daggerboards, I doubt it had anything to do with speed. When this film was shot, the Hobie 18 was still very new. These guys were used to sailing Hobie 16s. They probably just wanted to put the board in a set-and-forget position and sail the boat like they normally did. They weren't racing, they were power reaching, jumping waves, sailing through the surf - so a middle position on the board gave them one less thing to worry about. Plus, in one part of the video, it is mentioned that the coral heads were just "inches below the water surace," so better to pull the boards up and whack a rudder than take out the board/hull if they hit bottom. This is all just speculation on my part of course.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steve,
I don't think the Worrell 1000 was ever a non-stop race. From my recollection when that race began competitors came in at stop points each evening. I recall a Hotline story written by a support team member describing his 'chase' up the coast.

Even in those halcyon days, it was too risky to sail 5 days non-stop, day & night.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:01 am 
Site Admin

Yes, the Worrell was around the clock at one point. Three guys swaped out one at a time to keep two on the boat sailing 24 hrs a day.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The original Worrell was two dudes, non-stop, day and night, no checkpoints. Then they quickly changed the format to three man teams with checkpoints, but it was still non-stop, day and night on Hobie 16s - this is the era that Froome competed in (late '70s).

The race was eventually changed to have checkpoints with designated day/night legs and specified start times.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am corrected gentlemen, thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Amazing video! Shows ya how even the older ones we're built RIGHT. Sometimes simple and tough trumps modern high-tech ( for the new owner wow factor )
Now I too must fight the urge to keep my H16 going 10mph up the beach sheeted in until i'm 5 feet away from my car lol

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you guys hear about a hobie 18 breaking in half on the gulf coast next time a storm rolls through with 30 knots of wind, I want you to think back to this thread. I may soon be in the market for good hulls if anyone is selling them...

The bridles look very narrow in some of those shots... I'm not sure if they were bending the hulls in our if the video perspective just makes them look more vertical!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

aaronp wrote:
If you guys hear about a hobie 18 breaking in half on the gulf coast next time a storm rolls through with 30 knots of wind, I want you to think back to this thread. I may soon be in the market for good hulls if anyone is selling them...

The bridles look very narrow in some of those shots... I'm not sure if they were bending the hulls in our if the video perspective just makes them look more vertical!

On the hulls note, we'll be bringing a bunch of 18s to Mexico in October, we may be able to bring some extra hulls for you...

Tom

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John and Dean made a Sunkist commercial with an 18.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74JyDmAu9Zw