Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Picked up my Trax 2-30 cart today (30cm soft wheels for hauling on the soft sand) and it appears that there are a few improvements/changes that I was glad to see:

First thing I noticed was that there some beads of metal on each of the cart posts that prevent the collar (aka Cart Post Bushing) from sliding down too far. This is a huge plus for us Pro Angler owners where the wheels tended to rub on the bottom of the hull.
*note: it appears that the directions supplied with the cart do not account for this change.

Secondly, to offset the higher seating on the cart, the scupper posts are several inches longer which allows one to use the "cart keeper" (the little post at the top keeps the cart attached to the kayak when suspended)

Other items of note is a change to how the wheels are attached to the axle. The prior method of securing the wheels was prone to failure. This has been changed but I have yet to test the performance of the new, cotter pin-like, securing device.

This item has been back ordered for quite some time and it could not have arrived soon enough as the Extreme Kayak Fishing Tournament http://www.extremekayakfishingtournament.org down in Pompano Beach, FL is just around the corner and, when it comes to hauling a PA14 to the ocean, the sand down there is brutal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting...

Would you be able to post photos of the new wheel-hubs and the cotter-pin attachments?

The wheels falling off has been a problem for my when dragging my A.I. around.

I wonder if I can get an 'upgrade' under warranty?

Mike.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This may help a little. This photo is from Amazon and its listing of the cart.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yRVlFNskL.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is a picture of the wheel: Image

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's one thing that truly amazes me about Hobie, almost without exception as I've followed the forum as people post about problems they are having (good example here was the twist and lock hubs on these carts), a few months later all of a sudden the problem disappears. Obviously Hobie monitors the forums and I suspect their product improvement program is second to none.
Thank you Hobie
Bob
Now I just wish they would come out with a super TI hardened for offshore, with a CE 'C' rating, with jib and spinnaker options (my wish list).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mike (Wndrfl),

1. People here talk about turning the PA on its side to install and remove a cart. Can the Trax 2-30 cart be used that way or is it too much stress on the soft tire when tilting the boat over?

2. Are the Trax 2-30 cart improvements you speak of compared to the smaller wheeled Trax 2 cart or was there an earlier version of the Trax 2-30 cart that I should avoid?

thanks very much,
fred

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
1. People here talk about turning the PA on its side to install and remove a cart. Can the Trax 2-30 cart be used that way or is it too much stress on the soft tire when tilting the boat over?

I can't answer this one because I lift my PA up while someone else puts the cart in. I am sure someone out there on the forum will be able to answer this.

Quote:
2. Are the Trax 2-30 cart improvements you speak of compared to the smaller wheeled Trax 2 cart or was there an earlier version of the Trax 2-30 cart that I should avoid?

As I understand it, the original Trax 2-30 has shorter scupper posts, no collar stopper, and a different type of wheel attachment mechanism. I am sure you can make the older version work but, as usual, Hobie continues to embrace the concept of continuous improvement.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually I might be able to answer this maybe..... I don't have the trax 2-30 cart, I have the older trax 2 cart (with the smaller wheels). I own a TI and the method I use to put the cart in is to tip the boat on its side, put the cart in then tip the boat back down onto the wheels. I never had a problem with the tires themselves, but I did have a problem with the scupper cart frame itself breaking. I took it to my dealer and they replaced the frame. Looking at the new frame, the welds were much more substantial, and there were stops welded on the axles, where the old frame had none of the above (I suspect Hobies continous improvement), have not had a problem since.
In the pic above of the new cart, the pic shows the new cotter key keepers on the axle, much improved over the old wheeleez twist and lock system of holding the wheels on (most of the twist and lock keepers (actually all) I have had failed and broke within a short time and something else was rigged to hold the wheels on ( everyone knows what I'm talking about, that has owned the carts with the wheeleez wheels). I for one am glad they finally got rid of those 'twist and fail' hubs (lol).
Personally I have had much better luck with the foam filled HD tires which I always buy separately then retrofit onto my trax II cart (so I can have both sets of tires).
Like I said I don't have the trax 2-30 cart so I don't know if the foam HD wheels will fit.
Also all my carts are a couple yrs old, they may be completely different now, so take what I say with a grain of salt, I am just sharing my own experience with the stuff.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:22 am 
Site Admin

mingle wrote:
I wonder if I can get an 'upgrade' under warranty?

No replacements necessary under warranty... you can remove your locking knobs, drill the axle for locking pins and add spacers on the inboard end of the axles... Then you have the same features. The locking pins are #20502.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Trax 2-30 works well to install when you put the pa14 on it's side..

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was finally able to use my new cart and they performed very well on the soft, South Florida, sand. However, I was quite disappointed to learn that the 30cm wheels still rub the hull. The collars were suspended by the stopper, but it was still not enough clearance :cry: .