Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am sure this has been covered before . I have had to increase the size of my battery lately do to the fact that my 5hdI was draining my 9th battery in about 4 ah. I took the battery back to the store got a 22ah . The fish finder is still getting hot and shutting off so I will be a dressing that with lowerance. This bring me to the question were and how are you guys and ladies mounting and installing these much larger batteries. I would love to see your pictures and I am open to ideas. If you need more info I will do my best to get it to you thanks .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:47 am 
Hobie Team Member

I'm not at home so I can't take a picture for you but I'm using a 12v, 8ah battery like this one: http://www.batterywholesale.com/battery ... rodID=2818

It fits into the Hobie battery holders:
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/125 ... older.html
which can be mounted two ways. I have mine attached to the sailing mast post inside my hull like this:
http://static.hobiecat.com/web_uploads/ ... erPost.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks I know about the easie way of mounting a small batterys . I find that I am out for longer than 8hr so I would like to keep the larger battery . I thank you for your replie but I am still looking for other ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

4xtreme wrote:
Thanks I know about the easie way of mounting a small batterys . I find that I am out for longer than 8hr so I would like to keep the larger battery . I thank you for your replie but I am still looking for other ideas.

Take two small batteries and change out half way through the day... Instead of the larger battery.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

no I have other issues as welll the small battiers realy are not ment to be drown down that far. Also I would just like to keep the large battery . thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FWIW, I have a standard sized SLA battery, but I keep it in a drybag strapped to one of the underdeck support posts that is accessed from the mid-hull hatch on my PA14. I have fused leads coming out of the folded top of the sealed drybag, with a connector that mates to either my charger or FF. Not elegant, but this simple arrangement is waterproof, permits charging in the yak, and will accommodate pretty much any size or shape of battery as long as it fits through the main hatch. Cannot say that I have ever had a lot of water under the deck, but I just feel more secure having my battery waterproof.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes I like this idea . Have you had any problems with the battery rubbing or chafing inside the hall. If not do you have a pad or somthing under it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

4xtreme wrote:
Yes I like this idea . Have you had any problems with the battery rubbing or chafing inside the hall. If not do you have a pad or somthing under it?

No problems like that. I use an oversized zip-tie loop around the post that snugly fits around the battery in the drybag, but not so tight that it is difficult to remove. This just keeps it from shifting around while trailering. The battery really does not move around when out on the water.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks again . I am going to use you idea on my kayak . I have a piece of Evo foam pad that I am going to double side 3m tape down . I will place the battery and dry bag on it .Then I will zip tie that in place . I will use a weather pac connector to make it easy to plug and play. This has been a big help thanks again .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Its all about a 12v in the back hatch runs for days