Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a new tandem island that I'm quickly growing very fond of. I have a question, though. There have been occasions where I may need to remove the mast long enough to go under a bridge with pedal power and then put it back up. The mast isn't particularly heavy, but due to its length it's not easy to maneuver, and I've never tried to remove it and reinstall it on the water before. Any advice?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What I do is keep the mast vertical as long as possible when inserting and removing (it's easiest to handle when vertical).
I try very hard not to tilt the mast when it is in the plate with the white bearings, you can easily damage the bearings and bend that plate.
To put the mast in while on the water I place the base of the mast into the area just to the right and forward of the mirage drive (kind of trapped into the corner) while standing over the front seat area, I then walk the mast up to vertical (can be difficult when it's very windy). I then lift the vertical mast straight up and drop it into the hole.
To take it down I reverse the order, I lift the mast straight up and out of the mast pocket (keeping it vertical). I then place the base into that same corner then walk back while tilting it back down ( I have also just let the top of the mast just fall into the water, then drag it back in (much quicker but probably not recommended lol).
With a little practice it's actually quite easy and fast.
I do it all the time even with my massive sails and mast topper ( of course I drop the jib and spinnaker with the halyards before stepping the mast)
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a bridge near my home lake that I frequently go under. Once you do it a few times it becomes rather easy as long as the water is relatively flat. I've never tried in any kind of chop.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I search for the nearest beach to unstep the mast before the bridge. It is one of the major advantages of the TI that you can beach it wherever you want - use it!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Luckily my local bridge provides 6 inches of clearance at high water springs (but it looks scarily close from the sest below!)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's a cinch. Move to the forward area and kneel down in the cockpit behind the mast. Then do what you got to do. Not very hard.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bkchi wrote:
I have a new tandem island that I'm quickly growing very fond of. I have a question, though. There have been occasions where I may need to remove the mast long enough to go under a bridge with pedal power and then put it back up. The mast isn't particularly heavy, but due to its length it's not easy to maneuver, and I've never tried to remove it and reinstall it on the water before. Any advice?
It's easy enough BK, as long as the wind isn't blowing like stink.

Even easier if you detach the sheet and tie the sail closed. Leave the furling line on and cleated but give it the couple feet of slack you will need first.

If you are going any distance or are getting rocked by boat wake, it's a great idea to bungee the sail in place, next to you on the Akas.

When you replace the mast, twirl up the furling line slack and reattach the mainsheet. Off you go...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Um, NOHUHU, don't you need to have a lot of furling line out when the sail is furled, so when you pull on the mainsheet the furling line gets fed onto its drum?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's right Tony. I always have extra wraps on the drum though, even when fully furled. I can use this or pay some out through the cleat.

The main thing is to make sure the sail does not unravel in the receiver or while you are storing or stepping the mast. Very messy situation. I now tie up the furled sail and set the cleats to avoid this happening (again :oops: )

Hope I'm making sense. I COULD use a nap right about now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can watch me unstep/restep the mast on the water here at 1:50 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGjCUREoTwY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Crikey Tom. I counted 12 Kayaks at the water edge.

This was considered to be a very crowded day in South Australia :roll:

PS as you say, TI is just a little heavier and longer mast.
I prefer to stand up rather than kneel as it gives me more leverage.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nothing wrong with that, and since the boat is a tri, standing up isn't a problem.

I think the rolling furling sail and the ability to step or destep the mast on the water are two of the features that make the Islands such great all around boats.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And ability to sail or pedal or paddle and for some, motor.
What more could one want?

I did a bare boat charter on a 50' Beneteau in the Whitsundays.
It had a sail which furled into the mast.
I was able to reef from the cockpit and sail a 50' keeler comfortably solo in huge seas.
I thought at the time, what a brilliant idea for cruising.
And lo and behold, along came the Hobie Island. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom K.,
I just saw your post about stepping/un stepping the mast. Nice to see how to do it.

A question: you have a white plastic something? under the aka bar and right under the furler cleat, which appears to hold or guide your mainsheet.
Like others, I'm trying to find a way to make it easier to uncleat the main in a sudden gust. You might have figured one out.
Can you show the details of your mainsheet arrangement?
Thanks,
New AI2 owner,
Marty Cooperman
Cleveland, Ohio
Lake Erie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Marty, the AI 2 main sheet cleat on the Xbar is terrible--very difficult to release, worse in heavy winds. Check out my mods, especially my main sheet cleat mod. See it here: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=750

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon