Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Wave questions
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello my family is going to get a hobie wave in the near future and i was wondering how light do you have to be to hull fly in 10-15 knot wind. Also if we do capsize how heavyy do you have to be to right it without help? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Hobie Wave questions
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sailingperson wrote:
Hello my family is going to get a hobie Wave in the near future and i was wondering how light do you have to be to hull fly in 10-15 knot wind. Also if we do capsize how heavyy do you have to be to right it without help? Thanks!

You can NOT fly the hull in 10 knots. You need wind 15 mph to 20 mph & up to fly the hull on a Wave. If you know what your doing, you could right a Wave with 100 lb but it would difficult. Have fun!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fUEa7FRpCA

Post subject: Re: Hobie Wave questions
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds like you will soon be having a blast.

I have never managed to fly a hull with a passenger on board. However, the only friend I have who will go out with me in big wind is about 6'3" and probably 250lbs so don't take that as the rule. Two lighter crew could probably do it. My usual passenger is my wife and she is a light to moderate wind sailor only. Solo, it's not a problem but you do need some moderately stronger winds, as per the post above, due to the weight of the hulls.

I had my wife (120-130 lbs) right our Wave so she would know how to do it and she didn't have a problem. She thought it wasn't going to work but it was actually slowly raising. She just had to hold on longer than I do at 180 lbs but it came up none the less. Pointing it so the wind helps add some lift to the sail helps. That should happen naturally if it's roughly in the right direction (not backwards to the wind) and you stand near the bow.