Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just got a sail kit and furler for my 2013 Outback. So far sailed it once without the furler kit, winds were light so it was fine.

What side is everyone installing the furler lines on? Instructions show right side, but it would seem to make more sense to install on the left since you already have the sail line in your right hand.

Am I missing something? Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ATV,
Unless your kit is very different from a typical installation on the AI's and TI's,
It is on the right next to the main sheet camcleat,
I believe if you mounted it on the left. the sail would not furl properly.
I find it comfortable to have the lines side by side ......It makes it easier to handle both lines at once if you need to put a little tension on the main sheet when furling.
Don
Mango TI, Mendocino CA

"Paddles?.... We don't need no stinking paddles"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with you ATV, I put my furling lines on the left side of my revo when I got the kit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The cleat will limit placement of a track for accessories which is another consideration. A Hobie is hardly wide enough to present a problem when furling the sail and holding the sheet for the sail with one hand while pulling the furling line with the other hand.

If I am going to troll while sailing I also prefer having the rod on the left side of the boat. The left hand is also working the rudder while underway. On the right side I have the anchor trolly, cleat for the line for furling the sail, and the sail's sheet for adjusting the trim.

It seemed odd to me to have to even think about this. With every other sailboat, including Hobie cats, the rigging is already set by the factory and installed by the dealer before picking them up. I would bet that many Hobie kayaks are rigged for sailing by people who have never actually sailed one.