Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

I went visiting that area and was wondering how these lakes are ??? Quite big but surrounded by mostly fields or developments….

Thanks for any or all info….

Eric

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Norman is huge - an inland sea, as many call it. The Island boats would be very enjoyable there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I take my AI to Wylie & Norman quite often. Since Norman is so large, I stay mainly in the southern part around Blythe & Ramsey Creek Park. The wind is usually better there, however Wylie has T Bones restaurant with docks to pull up to.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am on Lake Norman with my AI several times a year, but try to avoid Memorial day to Labor Day as it is a dangerous lake with all the power boaters, I will say this year has been a little quieter - economy? The biggest problem with Norman is access, if you don't live on the lake or know someone who does there are very few places to launch. I emphasize "launch" because the few access points are not parks with amenities, launch your boat, park your car then no loitering around - a very un-friendly public lake in that respect. As far as a sailing lake it can be puffy, although it is large it is mostly narrow so the terrain chops up the wind.

I prefer the Outer Banks and sail several times a year off Ocracoke Island on the sound side and through the cuts and out to the Atlantic. This is a 5-6 plus hour trip, plus ferry ride from Lake Norman - but great AI / TI Sailing! :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Most of the time, Nuong and I put in either the AI or Oasis at Copperhead landing ... usually Mondays... at lake Wylie, so little to no boat traffic. Same goes for Blythe and Ramsey Creek park at Norman. I avoid the big holidays as well, but have gone out my self on a number of weekends with no worries. I sailed religiously last year.

One would think there would be other Islands around, but I have yet to run into another, just cats on Norman, so we have been content to just do our own thing. Like bicycling and sea kayaking, I wish there was a local group of Hobie owners, Island or not. that could form a group, and post outings on line at "Meet Up" like sea/rec kayakers do... but guess most in this area are more of the paddle only type. Recently I noticed Hobie Island Club list a chapter based with GOPC in Charlotte. Perhaps there are some around I have yet to discover. This year, leaned into cycling most of the time, so content to just sail on occasion. When we are at Wylie, usually dock and have lunch at T Bones. I see people from time to time eyeballing our AI like they never heard of one. Guess its all about PWC, pontoon, & bass boats around here. :roll:

We did just return from Oak Island where we sailed 90% of the time, and Emerald Isle has always been #1, but didnt work out to get there this year.

Seems Myrtle Beach, Florida, Texas, Ca... etc. have a healthy enthusiasm. I hope to see the same around here at some point in time.