Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shroud Length
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I seem to have found the correct mast rake for my 14T by adding a 7 hole shroud adjuster to the bridle and using the first hole. As a result I need to shorten the shrouds more than is possible with the adjusters. I'm in the tightest position (last hole) on both sides which works but presents a rig that is just a little too loose. Ideally, I need to shorten both shrouds by 2-3 inches. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Shroud Length
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:42 am 
Site Admin

Fyi... standard shroud length for a Hobie 14:

Shroud 15' 3 1/4"

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info. I tried to do my homework and know the shrouds are the specified length however they are still just a bit long after adding the adjuster to the furler. Although I haven't measured the change, the distance from the original position/stock set up for the turbo to the first hole in the adjuster I added is just a few inches, probably just increasing the rake only a few degrees yet causing the original shrouds to be too long. Are shorter shrouds available? Can the originals be safely and securely shortened? Or, is there a way to increase mast rake on a 14T that still allows the 15' 3 1/4" shrouds to work? I don't need a radical change in rake from what is achieved with the jib attached directly to the furler, but definitely need a few more degrees. Thanks in advance!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

This may be one issue... shrouds on a 14 (not Turbo) are intended to be VERY loose. This allows the mast to move forward for better down wind performance.

Turbo or Standard?

If main only (standard setup), the forestay needs to get tight before the mainsheet blocks bottom out when fully sheeted. The shrouds are loose to the point that you can grap with your hand and twist your wrist 90 degrees. At least when I used to sail them! :)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt! I have a Turbo and am still trying to get the shrouds tighter with the mast raked to the point that maximizes performance for me. The shrouds are already in the last hole/tightest position with the rigging loose to the point that demasting is now an issue. I know I can tie the mast to the DS with the halyard but I am a little concerned that running such a loose rig will present a problem when trapping in high winds/choppy water? I used a standard 7 hole adjuster to increase the forestay/jib. Is this the right way to increase the mast rake? and if so, how do I work with the 15' 3 1/4" shrouds? Does the Turbo/are there shorter shrouds I can use when raking the mast back? Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

I'm going to have to rely on a Turbo sailor on that... The rig should be tight when using a jib. May not rake as far aft either. There had been some issues with pigtails that were too long, but you added forestay length right?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you know what length shrouds you need, you can certainly get them made. I know APS will build custom shrouds and I think Murrays will too. It is standard 1/8" diameter 1x19 stainless steel wire with a thimble on each end. Just tell them how long you need and they will build them up.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks. i'll check it out. i was also wondering if anyone has an alternative method for raking the mast on a 14T.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just went through this and my rig is raked and tight. Last summer I ran the rig loose and I got dunked from the trapeze and dragged behind the boat, almost flipping backwards. I decided I didn't want to do that again so that's why I got the shortened shrouds.

I ordered shrouds from Murrays 3 inches shorter than stock. I also have a 7 hole adjuster on the forestay, but mine is at the top of the pigtail next to the mast. This keeps the jib nice and low. I also have a longer pigtail than stock, I will have to check my other posts on that, but I think it's around 15" vs. around 10" for current stock. I ordered my pigtail from Murrays also.

To step the mast with the stock mast hinge, I set the shrouds at the top hole of the adjusters. This barely allows the step pin to fit into the hole, and my pin is a little undersized from current stock. I use the pin from a previous generation mast step kit. I had to tap the pin gently with a hammer to get it in/out. Once the mast is stepped, the rig is super loose. I then walk each shroud adjuster down using a spare pin/ring. I end up 2nd or 3rd hole from the bottom on each shroud adjuster and that looked about right last time out, not much slop.

To make stepping the mast easier, you could get 2" undersized shrouds and I think that would still be effective in keeping the rig tight with rake.

The boat sails much better upwind and reaching. Much less chance of pitch poling. I don't notice much drop off in downwind speed. The only nuisance now is the boom is low, very low, such that I have to duck pretty low under it when tacking or my life jacket will catch on it.