Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone successfully used 10 or 12" PVC to make a sail tube capable of holding boom, main, jib and battens of a Hobie 16? I'm thinking of going this route but didn't know if anyone had done this or had thoughts to share. If I proceed, I'll provide pictures and guide.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes, people use those all the time. You'll have a hard time spotting any hobie 16/trailer over 20 years old that doesn't have a PVC sail tube lol. Go with the 12", yes its heavier but you won't have to strain to get the sails rolled up really tight to just barely fit in the tube. The hard part is coming up with end caps that work well and don't snag.

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We have a tube on our old boat trailer. Its made of fiberglass which I haven't seen many of, if any.
I'd guess ours is at least more than 10in in diameter. It has to be closer to 12in, maybe more. I wouldn't go any smaller than 12in. In the sail bag we have the main, jib, boom and tiller. Fits perfectly.
We had another 16 that we sold about a year ago and the trailer had a tube for the sails also. It had a smaller tube and you had to roll the sails much tighter to make it fit. It was a hassle.
Here is a picture of the trailer with the smaller tube.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks. Time to grab a stick of 12.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I might be too late but pvc pipe is heavy compared to double wall corrugated drain pipe, 12" works great.

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don't use PVC! Heavy and expensive. Get some smooth interior corrugated plastic! It's readily available in larger sizes, too. I used 18" to make a fixed storage for my sails- could easily be mounted on a trailer if I wanted.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for feedback. I called one of my suppliers and got a good price. Anyone want to do the same in Jacksonville? 24' piece so I can build two.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I bought my trailer it had a 12" PVC tube attached with 2 ratcheting tie-downs. The front end had a cap glued in and the back end of the tube had a round cap with holes drilled in it at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Through the holes were 2 bungees that were attached to holes in the sides of the tube about 1 foot back and drawn tight enough that it held the cap in place but it was easy to just flip down to open. You just pulled the cap loose and let it snap under the tube, pulled the sails out, then pulled the cap back up and snapped the cap back in the tube. The cap fit inside the diameter. It was also loose enough to allow water to drain out but tight enough to hold the cap in place to keep debris out. I'd roll the main up, shove it in, then roll the jib up and slide it in on top then shove in the tiller extension. Worked great for many years. Now I have a sail box I keep under the boat on the beach, but the tube is still there and the bungeed cap has held (loosely) for 10+ years. Other guys have caps that fit over the outside of the tube and appear almost airtight, and one guy I know just built tiny stanchions that he rests his tube on in the sand.