Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ok, I've been sailing Hobies for over 25 years, but maybe incorrectly....Going upwind I was keeping the jib positioned very tightly (sorry for the lack of nautical terms), close to the mast so that the wind flowed somewhat smoothly over to the main. An older gentleman in a monohull sailed by one day and said my jib positioning was wrong and that it should be back behind the main. Does anyone have a good utube for me to watch on proper jib positioning for my Getaway or can you explain it basically to me? thanks, from Jane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jane, both sails should be on the same side of the boat (the leeward side) when sailing close into the wind. If I understand your post correctly, you have been keeping the jib cleated on the windward side while the main is over the leeward side of the boat and this is not good for performance. Hope this helps, Holland.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks but no, both sails have been on the leeward side. I've just been keeping the jib tightly cleated, close to the mast. Should it be positioned more loosely, so that more wind passes between the 2 sails? (sorry for the lack of nautical terms) from Jane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:00 am 
Site Admin

The mono hull guy has no idea how the Getaway works.

The size of the jib and mast rake determine the sheeting point. On a mono hull the jib or Genoa can be very large and typically has a track along the rail for adjustable cleat / block positions. Often... as he noted... aft of the mast. They try to get an even pull along the foot and the leech.

The Getaway is not adjustable. The jib is quite small. The optimum position is what it is. Sheeting tension then determines performance. The harder you sheet the closer to the back of the main the jib leech comes. Too tight and you pinch off the air flow between the two sails. More wind... you can sheet harder, lighter... lighter. If you can make your way to the lee side while sailing or while setting up on the beach. Look from the aft beam up at the "slot" between main and jib. The shape of the jib leech should be similar to the main and a somewhat even opening from top to bottom. Sheet in and the top closes. Sheet out and it opens.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Look at the telltales on the jib--if you haven't got them installed, install some yarn about a third down from the top and about 18" behind the forestay/luff on both sides of the sail; one on top of the other so you can see both. If both yarns fly nearly straight back, you are good. If not, play with the sheet tension until they do flow back together or change course until they flow back together. The manual actually has a pretty good description of what to do.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II