Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a tandem adventure island purchased in 2012. It has now developed a leak where the v-base/mast screws to the bottom of the kayak. Could it be loose, need a sealant, casket, or anything I should look for? There is no visible cracks. Water drips out when out of water.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My 2012 was cracked at that point from the factory. I fixed it by plastic welding.

Most likely the welded in stud has broken loose or developed a crack there. The problem is that under the mast base there is a space between that and the top of the stud, so that when you tighten the nut you are effectively pulling the stud out of the plastic hull. I stacked a few SS washers in mine so that the stud can't be pulled up and out of the plastic. There is no longer any space between them, even when there is no real tension on the attachment nut.

If you don't feel comfortable about enacting this sort of repair I'd recommend you take it to your dealer and show him.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i had a similar pinhole leak, air came out around the cosmetic button on the bottom when hull was pressurized, and water came in even on completely calm days (slowly).
The problem is that the fitting into which the stud holding the mast base screws is molded into the hull. To do this, it has to screw onto the mold; this leaves a hole, which covered by the cosmetic plug. Inside, the plastic is scraped away on top of this fitting so the stud can go into it. Usually, the plastic is tightly molded to the fitting and does not leak, but it can loosen up enough for water or air to pass by

The fix was to remove the cosmetic button and plastic weld the opening it filled closed. Now it does not leak, and the bottom of the boat is ever so slightly smoother, making it almost as fast as a red boat, even though it is yellow. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Could you post some pictures of the issue and the repair?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would echo Tom's advice, and get your dealer to look at it. Unless you are extemely sure of what you are doing, I wouldn't recommend you trying to fix it yourself.