Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast problems
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everyone,

Now that classes are out here at UF, I finally have some time to check out the boats at our lake. Much to my surprise, we have an old Hobie 14 Turbo rotting at the lake shore. Very sad stuff but I've been doing all the research I can to get this boat up to speed. Some members of the team in previous years have tried to do some work on the boat - but with all of us being dinghy sailors we're a little at a loss. I think I've managed to fix most of the problems but one major one still exists and I hope someone can help.

It seems that some hapless team-mate has tried to jam a pin in the mast step so that the mast no longer turns. The mast is supposed to turn, right? I've looked through the Hobie part guide and all but I still can't seem to figure out how the mast step operates. Does it just fit in that socket and is held in by the shrouds? I'd appreciate any info on this (especially if someone can send a picture). I've tried everything to get that pin out but it's been warped and twisted inside, it's a mess.

Thanks so much!
Laura

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:53 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Yes, the mast is supposed to rotate. It stays in the step pretty much by gravity alone.

The assembly manual for the Hobie 14 can be found here. It has lots of pictures of how things are supposed to go together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks so much, this is helpful. Does that mast pivot bearing have to be there? I have a hunch it could be missing (I haven't stepped it yet). What's it made out of and can I manufacture one easily if it is missing?

Laura

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The mast pivot bearing is made of plastic or teflon. It helps prevent wear to both the mast and the cup and allows the mast to rotate more freely. I've heard of people making their own out of butter containers or other thin pastic, but I don't think it holds up more than one season.

Marcus

Post subject: hobie 14 mast
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

there are two things you have to be careful of, one is that the mast rake can not be too big because if you capsize, the mast pops off the mast step.

The second are two stoppers on each side. They must be in good conditions so your mast doesnt over rotate.

Believe it or not ive used a quarter instead of the teflon chip when not available but it's only a last resort in a race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hmmm hmmm, good point. I haven't been out to the lake recently to try and step it because of poor weather. With what you said, I'm beginning to think someone rammed that pin through the step so that the mast doesn't fall out. The rigging is very old, stretched and can't be tightened any more than it already is.

Hmmm - new debate. Should I get that pin out but risk losing the mast during a capsize (and we're hardcore-living-on-the-edge sorts of sailors here) OR leave in the pin which is slowly warping everything? I think my dream of restoring this nasty thing has hit a wall. :cry:

Now, in what we call the "graveyard" are a bunch of rotting 16s. Does anybody think that a 16 mast/rigging will fit on a 14? Hahahaha (but I'm serious).

Laura

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You should definitly take that pin out, because the mast not rotating is going to really affect performance. If the rigging is too loose after you tighten everything up, then you will want to replace it. Fortunatly for you, I just came across an old 14 that was given to me for parts. The rigging on it looks good, so if you want it maybe we could work something out. I also have an extra mast, but I think it would take some work to get that from Rhode Island to Florida. Drop me an email at [email protected] if you want these extra wires. I'm always happy to help out a sailor in distress.

...---...

Marcus
H14
Narragansett Bay

p.s. putting a 16 mast on a 14 would be like the frankenstein freak of hobies. If you do it, I want to see pictures(kind of like how you can't help looking at a car wreak on the highway).