Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Let it be clear that at the present stage we're only dreaming a little about things we might possibly do. The main problem is finding people who have the time, the money and the bodily strenght for this kind of adventure. I guess it can be done fairly easily if you really start to work hard for your vision. There is much to be said, but right now I don't even want to spend much time in explaining the possibilities and the problems. We're in no big hurry. Just keep dreaming.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A few words more...

There is a Hobie reseller on the Bahamas. Anyone interested in taking part in the adventure can just order a Hobie Island or something similar to that store. No one will steal your money unless the Hobie reseller does. If very few others are interested you can still travel around in Bahamas. You wont necessarily have to sail a long distance. Just find yourself some nice island or islands where you can be lazy, write your best-seller or whatever you wanna do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie crafte:
First off don't let us sidetrack your plans, it sounds like it would be a great adventure. If I was 30 yrs younger I would be all in (ok 40 yrs lol).
When I read the original post we were already in the planning stages for a very similar trip, but more suited to our much older age and that we are a group of couples (all close friends) so our circumstances are different plus the fact that our responsibilities only allow us a few consecutive weeks at best for adventures like this, so 6 months would be out of the question for most of us working stiffs. We still try to do 3 or 4 adventures a year but always of shorter duration.
Since I was already planning something similar I thought I would share some of what we had learned ourselves and trying to help maybe describe how to make the trip a little less extreme and possibly attractive to a larger group and possibly couples. However even 30 yrs ago I'm not sure my wife would be on board for no beds or showers for 6 months (lol).
I hope you guys are able to make something happen and are able to document your adventure for the rest of us.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't stop the discussion guys. I can't find 6 months nor do I want to do a long multiday sail. But transporting my boat to the Bahamas or similar islands and exploring for a week or two, making some new friends along the way, sounds like a dream vacation to me. It will take a lot of planning but thats part of the fun.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie Crafte wrote:
A few words more...

There is a Hobie reseller on the Bahamas. Anyone interested in taking part in the adventure can just order a Hobie Island or something similar to that store. No one will steal your money unless the Hobie reseller does. If very few others are interested you can still travel around in Bahamas. You wont necessarily have to sail a long distance. Just find yourself some nice island or islands where you can be lazy, write your best-seller or whatever you wanna do.

Yep, was away for work! Lets get this going again!

I have received a quote on 2015's for this trip! We need 5 people to buy one! i'm 1 so 4 others! All dealings cash etc...will go through an authorized dealer! Only thing i can offer is pick up, housing, rigging, etc....the money transactions will be through a dealer.

Is anyone left, besides us two, with a sense of adventure? I mean really, what could be better then no schedule cruising in the Bahamas, free diving, fishing, island exploring, for 6 months in this area?

Your idea about renting out the Islands in larger tourist areas is a great one! I know with a group of 4-6 people we all can pay for the boats and the trip doing just that!

Come on people, let's get 5 ready to go! Once in a lifetime adventure.

This trip is going to happen, even if im solo! :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

vetgam wrote:
Don't stop the discussion guys. I can't find 6 months nor do I want to do a long multiday sail. But transporting my boat to the Bahamas or similar islands and exploring for a week or two, making some new friends along the way, sounds like a dream vacation to me. It will take a lot of planning but thats part of the fun.

You can do it, just tell the boss a family member is very sick, and you need to take a 6 month leave to go care! Works every-time! LoL

I think we will have Hobie ship the boats to the Bahamas dealer and leave from there. So if you already have one, sell it, upgrade to a 2015! This trip will be planned to make money along the way, break even on the trip and most of the boat is the goal.

I'm have budgeted 12k for this trip. Boat, supply's etc..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Check this out! If we have cell phone service, which most resort areas will!

Paypal payments....Via cell phone swipe/reader. So people can use Credit Cards to pay us.

Paypal.com That makes renting these boats on a hour basis easy. If we pull up on a crowded beach, people are going to be curious, and want to talk! Let them try the boat for a hour...will be easy!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh I'm not negative. I'm all for doing stuff. But Fail to Plan - Plan to fail and all that. :D
So take the following in the spirit in which it is intended! (Which is jovial with a sprinkling of common sense!)

I have owned and operated a very small conference bike and kayak hire company and had to develop a business plan as part of that. I also had to have insurance and permits for various things. And I know that reality is often totally different from the plan. I had to ignore a load of people telling me I was crazy. But some of the negatives must be taken into account when you plan anything.

I did a little brainstorming and research to contribute. Hope its useful.

A cursory look at http://www.bahamas.gov.bs puts some of your trading plans in doubt. It seems you need be a resident of the islands in order to be able to run a watersports business. Obviously this is for the benefit of the islanders. There are permits and licences required for trading.
I also don't think being on a trip and running a business at the same time is possible. You might get some beer money but that would be it.
Looks like visas are not required for Americans and Brits.

Is wild camping allowed in bahamas?

Coastguard Regs? America is pretty strict. What are the bahamas like?

Normal Weather conditions in march? Windy enough? prevailing wind?

Have you been following the Danish Family going from Denmark to Turkey? Have a look.

For practicalities - living expenses are pretty cheap when you are camping. You can rent your house while away so mortgages are not an issue. (I do when I go on tour)

What's your sailing background? RYA Tickets? Age? Sex? You have very little Hobie Forum history. These are all valid questions any potential companions need to know. I'm not going sailing with a total newbie and end up holding their hand or end up getting them out of trouble. Or vice versa.

If I were you I would go ahead with a solo practise trip beforehand - record it well, publicise it, even the bad bits and then invite people to join you next time. Get a spot tracker and we can all follow you?

So, Best of luck, I'm sure it will be amazing. :D

"Better drowned than duffers
If not duffers, won't drown"

Swallows and Amazons
Arthur Ransome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Whoa wait where the heck did this convo go? Did this trip start? Still pending?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

soooo…. did this ever happen?

St. Clair Flatts
St. Clair River and Channels
3x Michigan Master Angler Awards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's most probably still just a dream. I haven't been there, probably not GetawayIsland either.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

An alternative would be to buy a bigger trimaran or catamaran and load a couple of Hobie Islands on it and a little now and then sail a longer distance. Interested?

The Caribean sure is nice but I could do a thing like this in the Canaries, Greece, the Seychelles, southeast Asia and other locations.