Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BETTER PADDLE FOR A REVO
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OKAY, I DON'T PADDLE MUCH, HOWEVER THERE MUST BE A BETTER PADDLE OUT THERE. ANY IDEAS? AM I REALLY THE ONLY ONE CONSIDERING THIS? THANKS IN ADVANCE, FOLKS.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It might help if you told us what you didn't like about the paddle and under what conditions you plan to use an alternate paddle. The best paddle for a calm lake would not be the same for ocean surf or fast rivers. There are hundreds of paddles out there: one blade (canoe style) or two, rigid one piece or adjustable angle two piece, metal or wood/carbon/fiberglas shafts, lengths longer or shorter than Hobie's 230cm, varying plade widths and lengths. Hobie's current paddle isn't bad for most situations but their "one paddle for all paddlers, kayaks (from the smallest solo inflatable to the longest Tandem Island), and situations" approach means there are compromises to be made in most situations. i will say their optional T handle is clever and really comes in handy if your rudder ever becomes unusable.

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:14 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

lula wrote:
THERE MUST BE A BETTER PADDLE OUT THERE. ANY IDEAS? AM I REALLY THE ONLY ONE CONSIDERING THIS? THANKS IN ADVANCE, FOLKS.
I concur. The Hobie blade doesn't enter or exit the water well, contributing to fatigue. Hobie has used this design since 2007 -- it hasn't been a big issue because the paddle typically plays a secondary role on the Mirage Drive boats. I use a 2006 Hobie paddle that was built for them by Bending Branches and love it -- nothing fancy but versatile and durable. Many who paddle their Hobies often, either find something else or use their own favorites. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I broke my Hobie paddle when I was fighting through a surf launch in my 2012 Sport. Since then I have been using an aluminum paddle: http://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-Tripper-Aluminum-Kayak-Paddle/dp/B001AI69OM

Its not the best ergonomic design for long distance paddling, in fact its probably on par with or slightly better than the Hobie paddle, but it has survived more abuse since my confidence in the stock Hobie paddle is... :|

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I personally have been using a Bending Branches Whisper since my first kayak back in 2007. I still have it and it is still like new. Not too pricey at $60.00 and works perfectly fine for me. I do occasionally take my revolution out for a paddle.

Revo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

go Werner or go home :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks to all of you that responded. Peter you're right --- I'm always in the ocean, calm to 3' swells. The paddle just doesn't "feel right" to me. Like it doesn't fit. Maybe a little too long? I'm not being more specific because I really don't have all kinds of paddle experience for comparison. I grew up sailing. And now here I am absolutely enamored with my revo and just want to make improvements where I can. Thanks again everyone --- Lula

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Although I like bentshaft/ ergo paddles, they don't sit well on Hobies like straight shaft paddles do.

I prefer a fiberglass blade and carbon shaft for weight-savings and power (little to no flutter).

Bending Branches, Werner, Aquabound, & Adventure Technologies are some of the brands I use. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just bought another paddle the hobie for me was to short. An outback and 6'1" height didn't help.

Bought a Werner Tybee hooked 250cm. The added length is so much better and a plus if you do the angle blades, is a setting allowing you to set the deg angle you'd like.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

AT is coming out with 2 new fiberglass fishing paddles, and the shaft length is adjustable on them...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Werner. Anything else is just a paddle.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Werner shuna is a great all rounder , low low relaxed stroke to high more aggressive,
catches alot of water thus can help you fight the surf when needed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:23 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hobie has used this design since 2007

We now (2015 Models) use a blade from Cannon.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:55 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I got to try out one of the new Hobie - Cannon paddles for several days -- great improvement! The blade is quiet entering the water, has enough dihedral that it doesn't flutter and not so much (like the previous edition) that it sticks when the blade exits. It would be considered a low angle paddle for efficient long term use. It's fiberglass shaft loses an ounce over its most recent predecessor and 4 ounces over the earlier aluminum shaft Hobie paddles. I can swing it for an hour with 2 or 3 short water breaks. Finally it appears to be rugged enough for its more important functions -- fending off, use as a depth gauge and splashing your kayaking partner. For most of us it should fulfill its role quite well. 8)