Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PVC Bunks for TI Trailer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm close to mounting the 1 1/2" pvc bunks on my trailer in progress for a fall delivery TI. I know that others have used off the shelf 10 Ft lengths of pvc for this.
Is the flat part of the scupper lines any longer than 10 Ft. making it useful for the bunks to be longer ?
It would be easy on my trailer to make them longer and even sweep upward toward the bow. I'm planning to put some kind of support on the trailer tongue below the mast step and beyond. Does the scupper line extend as far forward as the mast ?

Thanks, it's been a challenge building this trailer without a boat to look at. I couldn't do it without all the help I've found here.

- Chris

Last edited by Buckaroo on Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Id like to know to, but will just wait until my TI arrives. In the mean time will be getting started on a trailer. Seen in a you tube vid with a good idea of using unistrut and special fasteners that allows for easy PVC width adjustability

Here's the youtube vid that showed that idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=223uGprVyIc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, I had seen that video and it was helpful to me too. I settled on 1 1/2" pvc conduit rather than 3" after talking to others here and trying both on my Revo 13. The 1 1/2" seems to be a good fit in the scupper groove but may not be large enough to through bolt to a unistrut nut. I put unistrut on the second level where I plan to transport my Revo 13 and/or a storage box. My brother gave me some 3"x 3" x 1/4" wire grid that is used to hang stuff in retail stores. One of our forum friends in Oz has grid on the back overhang of his trailer and I really liked the idea so I have put grid on the lower level and a single narrower piece on the upper level. I'm going to make a bracket that will be used in several places to secure the pvc and clamp to the grid. It will allow me to make adjustments with the boat on the bunks.
I have the trailer partially clamped together with my smaller kayaks sitting on it as I make final decisions on it's design. This is when I realize there are never enough clamps in a welding shop.
I'll attempt to post a pic for the first time of what I have so far.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First picture attempt of my trailer so far.

Hmmmm. Not sure what happened, photo disappeared from Flickr. Here it is again.
Oh, I forgot to do the final "upload" and lost the first photo. :oops:

Original trailer:

Last edited by Buckaroo on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:48 am, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your photo is not showing.

Never mind, now they show.

Last edited by Drewyaker on Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am using the 10' PVC for my 2014 TI. The scupper lines narrow forward of the mast, so it's probably best to wait until you have the TI in hand before finalizing the width. They are widest at the scupper plug holes in the rear. I have a harbor freight trailer with ladder racks so I can put the TI fully loaded on the bed of the trailer with the PVC or set it on top of the ladder racks with PVC depending upon how far I am travelling. I don't currently have a net or other way to keep objects from bouncing up into the bottom/bow of the TI while on the bed(i.e. overhang) so I set the TI on the ladder racks for longer trips.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have 3" steel grid under most of the boat. I'm adding 1" bar channel on each side of the grid to stiffen it. I think the grid is powder coated and I'm not looking forward to cleaning that off prior to welding. Hopefully the grid will protect the boat from most road debris.
Yesterday I made some adjustable hardware to mount the pvc to the grid. I went with 11.5" on center for pvc spacing and can adjust from there.
I still have a lot of drilling and de-burring to do but will post a picture later.

- Chris
Update:
Pictures of hardware I made to mount pvc pipe to unistrut. I used 1"x 3/16" angle iron cut 2" long to span the unistrut. 1/8" angle would be fine too but I already had a lot of 3/16". The bolt through the pvc is 1/4" and I just set the pvc between the installed brackets and drilled through from either side. The unistrut bolts and nuts are 3/8" that I already had or I would have used 1/4" here also. The extra 1/4" hole in the angle iron is just to make the bracket universal for left or right.
The brackets will be mounted to 20" long pieces of unistrut that will bolt onto the grid on the trailer with a clamping bar on the far side.

- C

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

More pics of the pvc bunk hardware mockup. I had to split the unistrut into separate pieces for left and right for the TI only because the grid on the lower level is two sections wide and there's an extra line of 1/4" wire that stiffens the grid in the center making it taller than the rest. On the upper level shown in the pics I'm only using a single width of grid for the Revo 13 and can use a single 20" piece of unistrut.

Now to sandblast and paint all the pieces.

- Chris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice idea of Steel grid….

I used Doug Fir joist from HD as the bottom
But I had 2 TI cradles which I didn't want to go to waste
So I placed Cradles underneath Mirage drive wells and then added 1.5"
PVC pipes in front, in between cradles and behind cradles….
I lined up pipe with Cradle peak that fits in the hull gap

But I covered everything with a Costco entry way outdoor dirt rug 3x5 ft $20 ea
It pads everything and is slippery making it easy to pull up hull onto trailer at ramp
Works great!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That sounds like plenty of support using the pipe and cradles together.
I also have a pair of cradles and one of them is becoming a cart. Originally I intended to mount the cart on the rear of the trailer to come on and off with the boat but my garage may not be deep enough to leave it there full time because the trailer is already 19 Ft. long. I think I'll have to just use the pvc to get the boat home then figure out what room I have left for the cart. I'm still hoping to squeeze a bow stop/winch stand/trailer jack behind the hitch but may have to wait until I can see the new bow in person to make it all fit.
This is reminding me of a Firefighter friend that had his garage lengthened to accommodate the huge pickup truck he purchased. All he could say about it was :
You know you're a redneck when .......... :)

chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I really like the idea of the PVC cradles.

I went out and bought (2) 3 inch electrical conduits and 4 U bolts yesterday and will change the configuration on my trailer the first chance I get.
Thanks for the idea !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Buckaroo wrote:
That sounds like plenty of support using the pipe and cradles together.
I also have a pair of cradles and one of them is becoming a cart. Originally I intended to mount the cart on the rear of the trailer to come on and off with the boat but my garage may not be deep enough to leave it there full time because the trailer is already 19 Ft. long. I think I'll have to just use the pvc to get the boat home then figure out what room I have left for the cart. I'm still hoping to squeeze a bow stop/winch stand/trailer jack behind the hitch but may have to wait until I can see the new bow in person to make it all fit.
This is reminding me of a Firefighter friend that had his garage lengthened to accommodate the huge pickup truck he purchased. All he could say about it was :
You know you're a redneck when .......... :)

chris

Chris, if your trailer is 19 Ft. long empty, you clearly have too long a front drawbar, or too much trailer behind the axle. My TI trailer is no more than 17 Ft. long empty, with the bow only 12 inches back from the tow hitch (with a winch in there!), and 3 Ft. overhanging at the rear. So if your drawbar length was reduced, you could easily accommodate that cradle at the back. Just sayin' :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony, I may shorten the drawbar as you said, just didn't want to start out too short not having a boat to look at. I was trying to minimize how much boat hangs off the back. The axle assembly is "bolt on" from the original trailer so I have some flexibility positioning it.
I'm welding the grid sections together and powder coating the pipe hardware this week so I may have something that looks more like a trailer this weekend.
Thanks

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here are a few pics of my trailer almost complete. Just missing the bow stop, fenders, and I'm not sure where the spare tire is going to end up.
The upper deck was intended to carry my Revo 13 but the hardware for it's bunks isn't mounted. I'm thinking of putting a Thule box up there instead for all of the TI stuff.
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

More pics including two Subaru's, a TI trailer and a wall of 24" wire shelving in a two car garage. The red Subaru (mine) may be outdoors when my wife sees the reduced amount of space around her car.

Harbor Freight car dollies under the trailer wheels allow me to push the trailer against the wall.

Thanks to everyone that answered my many questions about building a TI trailer. I couldn't have done it without your help.
- Chris